Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline import

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gasoline import

This may not be in right forum but i just finished reading a thread about gas prices and wondered if this has been discussed.

Different oil companies buy from different countries, some of which are considered terrorist friendly. You can actually look to see where a particular company get their oil from and choose wether or not to use their gas.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...mmary2003.html

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...nt/import.html
From what i remember in a different article i read a few months back, Shell is a major buyer of oil from P.O.S. countries and a company like Sunoco did not. I just assume buy my gas from a company that doesn't buy oil from Libya, Iran etc if I don't have to.

Last edited by DTYSON; 02-03-2004 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Launching!

yay for my gas provider for being non-terrorist friendly!!
Old 02-03-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Where does Costco get their oil?
Old 02-03-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

of course in reality they get oil from the same places, and all buddy up with the pres. who is a oil tycoon's wet dream.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Launching!

2/3's of the remaining known crude oil reserves are located around the Persian Gulf.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 72sub
2/3's of the remaining known crude oil reserves are located around the Persian Gulf.

I thought that I heard somewhere that there is a large supply of oil in and around Alaska. Larger than most of the reserves in the middle east. But.... because of the severe cold, GreenPeace, and the risk of a spill, we can't drill up there for fear of disturbing the fragile eco-system.
Now I'm not an enviornmental engineer, (I'm a mechanical), so I can't tell how much oil derricks can disturb the eco-system up there. But it stands to reason that with our current technology we could obtain oil from this region quite safely. Though several problems come to mind: increased cost per gallon of oil; government/political problems with the terrorist countries from not buying oil from them anymore; GreenPeace, Sierra Club, probably the Earth Liberation Front (ELF?).

Just my thoughts,

Tony
Old 02-04-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Or maybe we're not tapping into that because the oil companies would lose money due to an increase in supply.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sunsetz28
Or maybe we're not tapping into that because the oil companies would lose money due to an increase in supply.
Im pretty suspicious of the Oil companies. I read that one of the majority stock holders in exxon-mobil is some Middleastern company. That cant be in our best interest. I am just hoping that Hydrogen id figured out so we tell OPEC to cram it.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

We do get oil from Alaska. 25% of the oil used in the United States comes from alaska. We are currently getting oil from there now "Alaska pipe line". I lived there for about 3 years. They take that **** serious there. A hunter shot the pipeine and his brother ratted him out. After 3.8 million in clean-up expences they guy was given 16 years in prison.
As far as a certain company getting its oil from a certain country or area of the world that is all crap. There is a huge oil/fuel plant off 225 in Houston and everyone gets there fuel from there, Shell, Chevron, Exxon. All major gas providers get it from generally the same place. If you want good fuel go to chevron, they are adding an additive called techron, make fuel more efficient and better for the environment. As far as where it comes from it passed through a couple hundred hands before it goes in our cars!!!
Old 02-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Quote from Marcel1500: "As far as a certain company getting its oil from a certain country or area of the world that is all crap."

My office overlooks the Mississippi River just downstream of the ExxonMobil Refinery in Baton Rouge (9th largest refinery in the world). Every other day or so, I watch oil tankers come up the river and off load hulls full of crude oil to the refinery. These tankers come from Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, U.A.E., Indonesia, Russia, as well as other OPEC and non-OPEC countries. It's a beautiful site!

Last edited by 72sub; 02-06-2004 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add comment