Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Clutch Job

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Clutch Job

I just ordered a monster stage 2 clutch, getting ready for a clutch job. Got a few questions if anyone can help:

I want to do trans front and engine rear main seals while I'm there, any tips/tricks, advice to get them out adn isntalled properly so they wont leak? Do I need any special tools for this?

Kit comes w/ a new flywheel. Is the pilot bearing installed in the flywheel or the back of the crank? and if the back of the crank, again, advice on a special tool to remove it?

-Any tips or need to know/PITA steps out of the ordinary that might be helpful to know that anyone has run into?

Thanks for info
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DC8808
I just ordered a monster stage 2 clutch, getting ready for a clutch job. Got a few questions if anyone can help:

I want to do trans front and engine rear main seals while I'm there, any tips/tricks, advice to get them out adn isntalled properly so they wont leak? Do I need any special tools for this?

Kit comes w/ a new flywheel. Is the pilot bearing installed in the flywheel or the back of the crank? and if the back of the crank, again, advice on a special tool to remove it?

-Any tips or need to know/PITA steps out of the ordinary that might be helpful to know that anyone has run into?

Thanks for info
Pilot is pushed into the back of the crank. Go rent a bearing puller from your local autozone. Just tell them you need to remove a pilot bearing and they will give you the tool. You should also go ahead and rent a slide hammer while your there. You have to put down a pretty hefty deposit for the slide hammer, but you get it all back when you return it. Another thing that might be an issue that I ran into and so have others is the bell housing being stuck on the back of the block, on the guide pins. Have a pry bar handy and dont use EXCESSIVE force or you will break the bell housing. Ask me how I know. Make sure shifter is removed prior to dropping the transmission. Drain the transmission.