Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Whats this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this mean?

I changed the ignition switch, and car wont crank but everything works. When i unlock my door with the key and try to start it the alarm goes off.
Is there a way to reset the security system? or any info would be great thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You changed the ignition switch or the ignition cylinder? Did you have to use a different ignition key? Is the security light on or flashing?

If you changed the ignition cylinder and therefor have to use a different ignition key, the VATS system is preventing the car from starting because the new key doesn't have the correct resistance to match what your BCM has in memory. No, it can't be reset. You'll have to get a new key that has the cuts matching your new key but on a blank with the same resistance as your old key.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

No I changed the ignition switch. Light is flashing, But like i said as soon as you unlock the door with with key then turn the ign the alarm goed off. Maybe its a fuse/relay? but which ones would it be? Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinAce
No I changed the ignition switch. Light is flashing, But like i said as soon as you unlock the door with with key then turn the ign the alarm goed off. Maybe its a fuse/relay? but which ones would it be? Thanks
The flashing security light indicates that the VATS system in the BCM can't see a valid resistance in the ignition key (actually, it can't see any resistance). The most like cause is that you disconnected the VATS connector when replacing the ignition switch and didn't plug it back in. It's a two pin connector with purple/white and white/black wires wrapped in an orange insulating sleeve.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

whitebird00 you my friend are a fuking genius!!! Been racking my brain asking questions on here for 2 days. Traced every wire under the dash to nowhere. Saw that orange insulated wire and didnt think about it because there was a resistor taped in the line on the other side (remote start) im guessing took that off and connected and shes alive. If i ever come to jacksonville first rounds on me. Thanks man