Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tapping into stock stereo, aftermarket amp.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping into stock stereo, aftermarket amp.

My plans for a stereo are an alpine headunit, infinity speakers, 2 mtx amps and 2 jl subs. I have install more than 30 stereos in stupid cars so I'm somewhat knowledgeable. I built my own box and made my own amp rack which I could post later if anyones interested. My question is, if I replaced the speakers and connected them to the wires that from the factory run from the apeakrs to the monsoon amp, and then intercepted the signal before the amp and ran those wires to my amp, would that work? For example, speaker to stock wiring which runs to the monsoon amp, then unplug the amp via connector and then splice the wires (front left, front right, back left, back right) and then from there run speaker wire to the amp in the back? Would this be plausible and if so could it handle 75watts rms? Keep in mine I know that on the front speakers I would leave the 2nd set of wires that goes to the tweeters unplugged and for the rear I would do the same with the hatch speakers but just use the wires from the sail panel. My main goal is to not have a bunch of aftermarket wires having to be ran under th carpet if I can just tap into the amp right there in the spare tire area. Just a thought, thank you guys. Ps it's for a 2000 camaro.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

I have installed 30 stereos in various cars** lol. Damn iPhone and fat fingers don't mix.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No, it won't work. For one thing, the signal input at the Monsoon amp is speaker level not pre-amp. Your amp requires a pre-amp (RCA) input level. For another thing, you still have to run wires anyway for amp power, remote turn-on, and sub input. So, just do it right and run all new wiring.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I was just curious. Thanks for the quick response.