Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need to change anything?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Do I really need to change anything?

I recently aquired a set of 243 heads and a bare ls1 block and crank. I have a few questions before I begin putting it together.

#1. Is there a difference between the LS1 and LS6 cranks? If so, is there any advantage to the LS6 over the LS1?
#2. Is there any part of the factory internals that really need to be upgraded for a simple h/c/i setup? I dont plan on running any kind of boost or spray on this motor.
#3. How far can the ls1 block be bored out? I figure since I have to buy new internals and have machine work done on the block anyways I might as well have it bored while its at the shop.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
I recently aquired a set of 243 heads and a bare ls1 block and crank. I have a few questions before I begin putting it together.

#1. Is there a difference between the LS1 and LS6 cranks? If so, is there any advantage to the LS6 over the LS1?
#2. Is there any part of the factory internals that really need to be upgraded for a simple h/c/i setup? I dont plan on running any kind of boost or spray on this motor.
#3. How far can the ls1 block be bored out? I figure since I have to buy new internals and have machine work done on the block anyways I might as well have it bored while its at the shop.
1. no

2. Just run ARP fasteners and good bearings and for a mild setup you are fine.

3. 97-98 blocks can go .005 over to 3.903. Later blocks have a thicker liner and can go .010 over to. 3.898 You will also find a lot of pistons to fit a .007 over 3.905 bore.