Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Looking for best grip street tire for all 4 corners.. any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for best grip street tire for all 4 corners.. any ideas?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a really good grip street tire to put on my car. I'd like to keep all 4 corners the same, but am open to options about radials on the back, I'd like to keep it under $200 a tire.

315's out back and 275's up front.

I only drive about 2-3k miles/yr, But I'd like to get about 10k miles out of them (so about 3 years in my case).

Here are some of the tires I've been reading about:

Nitto NT05
Nitto NT05 R
Nitto NT01
Nitto 555 R

There so many options it's incredible!, I just need some help pinpointing what would be best for me.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look into the Toyo R888. I just picked up a pair for the rear. They have a treadware index of 100, so they will be very sticky. I've read some very good reviews about them, but I can't put in my $0.02 just yet. They are typically more than $200 per tire, but if you shop around enough (eBay), you'll be able to get some good deals.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Look into the Toyo R888. I just picked up a pair for the rear. They have a treadware index of 100, so they will be very sticky. I've read some very good reviews about them, but I can't put in my $0.02 just yet. They are typically more than $200 per tire, but if you shop around enough (eBay), you'll be able to get some good deals.

Thanks,

I'm really leaning toward a nitto tire, but I will for sure look into them!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Just looked for the toyo r888, They don't offer them in my size it seems (discount tire and tire rack). And even if they did they're out of stock..
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Nitto 555r's ?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the nitto nt01 and the toyo r888 are the same tire. Toyo manufacturers them and cuts the tread different for nitto.

you mentioned wanting sticky tires on all 4 corners... I'm guessing so you can blast through some turns? If that's the case, you won't want the nt555r or nt05r because they're a softer-sidewall drag tire.

I would recommend the nitto nt01 if you don't see a lot of rain and don't mind replacing tires often, or the nt05 if you drive a lot and want more of a "street tire"

the falken azenis rt-615k is another nice option, although more expensive than the nittos
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

NT05: 200 treadwear, daily driver with occasional autox/trackday/corner carving tire
NT01: 100 treadwear, more roadrace/autox dedicated than NT05, but still streetable
555R: 100 treadwear, daily driver/drag tire
NT05R: 00 treadwear, stickier drag radial that wears faster than 555r

and one you forgot:
555rII: 100 treadwear, basically 555r with stiffer sidewalls for handling use

"best grip" depends on your use. do you want straight line grip? handling? will you see rain? etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just so you guys know, you should not use treadwear when determining how soft or sticky the tire is. There is not a constant value used across the board. Yes, the numbers are constant, but how each manufacturer gets that number is not constant with all tire manufacturers.

So, just because one tire says it's a 200, doesn't mean another tire from another company with a rating of 100 is a softer/sticker tire.

Kind of like tv companies and contrast ratio.

On the note of the OP. I would personally go with the NT05. It has the best all around street/track manners, it can really stick to the corner when at the track, but also be driven in the rain and will actually get a few miles of driving on them.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
NT05: 200 treadwear, daily driver with occasional autox/trackday/corner carving tire
NT01: 100 treadwear, more roadrace/autox dedicated than NT05, but still streetable
555R: 100 treadwear, daily driver/drag tire
NT05R: 00 treadwear, stickier drag radial that wears faster than 555r

and one you forgot:
555rII: 100 treadwear, basically 555r with stiffer sidewalls for handling use

"best grip" depends on your use. do you want straight line grip? handling? will you see rain? etc.

Thanks!,

I would like to have decent straight line grip, as well as good handling characteristics. I have koni's/ strano springs and sway bars.

Won't see rain unless I'm caught in it (unlikely). Basically looking for summer performance. Right now I have sumi htr-z's and they suck like noone's business.

I'm open to putting a different type on the rear vs. front, but have heard that's not a good idea for 100% street use which is what I will see. (never go to track except for giggles).

Realistically, this will be a 100% street tire, but I want the best grip while staying < $200 / tire.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ec_nova
the nitto nt01 and the toyo r888 are the same tire. Toyo manufacturers them and cuts the tread different for nitto.

you mentioned wanting sticky tires on all 4 corners... I'm guessing so you can blast through some turns? If that's the case, you won't want the nt555r or nt05r because they're a softer-sidewall drag tire.

I would recommend the nitto nt01 if you don't see a lot of rain and don't mind replacing tires often, or the nt05 if you drive a lot and want more of a "street tire"

the falken azenis rt-615k is another nice option, although more expensive than the nittos

Ahh, ok I see thanks, I don't think I'm interested in the NT01, as they're priced at $227/tire at discount tire.. eh.. a little above what I'm willing to pay ( <$200/ tire)

And yes I like corner-blasting, but I'm also interested in straight line street performance you know? (This is where the complication lies)

I was wondering about putting the 555r's on the front.. seems as though that wouldn't be the best idea for the reasons you stated. But they're attractive at $181/ tire.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
Ahh, ok I see thanks, I don't think I'm interested in the NT01, as they're priced at $227/tire at discount tire.. eh.. a little above what I'm willing to pay ( <$200/ tire)

And yes I like corner-blasting, but I'm also interested in straight line street performance you know? (This is where the complication lies)

I was wondering about putting the 555r's on the front.. seems as though that wouldn't be the best idea for the reasons you stated. But they're attractive at $181/ tire.
in that case I would go with the 555r II, it's a stiff-sidewall soft compound tire for autox/etc. But it will wear out quickly.

I'm with black_z28, nt05 will give you the best bang for the buck, and a great compromise between straight-line grip and cornering grip. They will also last a good while longer than the r-compounds.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Just so you guys know, you should not use treadwear when determining how soft or sticky the tire is. There is not a constant value used across the board. Yes, the numbers are constant, but how each manufacturer gets that number is not constant with all tire manufacturers.

So, just because one tire says it's a 200, doesn't mean another tire from another company with a rating of 100 is a softer/sticker tire.

Kind of like tv companies and contrast ratio.

On the note of the OP. I would personally go with the NT05. It has the best all around street/track manners, it can really stick to the corner when at the track, but also be driven in the rain and will actually get a few miles of driving on them.
Thanks for that, and yes I realize that tire wear is subjective per manufacturer.

I've been seriously considering the NT05, and the 555r as primary choices. Like stated above, I'm unsure how the 555r would perform on all 4 corners though. But they have a more attractive and reasonable price vs. the NT05
Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ec_nova
in that case I would go with the 555r II, it's a stiff-sidewall soft compound tire for autox/etc. But it will wear out quickly.

I'm with black_z28, nt05 will give you the best bang for the buck, and a great compromise between straight-line grip and cornering grip. They will also last a good while longer than the r-compounds.
Hmm, I was under the impression that the NT05 is not the best tire for straight line grip, which is why I question it. It seems that alot of members like that tire though and it's very popular in general.

I'm just sick of blowing the tires of in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear with these junk sumitomo's... even from a roll. Not to mention trying to corner blast is hairy at best
Old 12-06-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of the drag tires (NT-555R, NT-05R) are probably not goin to be what you want at all 4 corners. They just won't handle how you want. I am looking at the Toyo R1R, Toyo R1A, Toy R888, NT-01, NT-05, and Kuhmo Ecsta XS.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
Hmm, I was under the impression that the NT05 is not the best tire for straight line grip, which is why I question it. It seems that alot of members like that tire though and it's very popular in general.

I'm just sick of blowing the tires of in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear with these junk sumitomo's... even from a roll. Not to mention trying to corner blast is hairy at best
Cripes, I'd maybe looking into some suspension parts if you have no problem spinning the tires in 3rd gear. I'm near 500RWHP and I can't break loose in 2nd, and I'm not running anything special in the rear for tires.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Cripes, I'd maybe looking into some suspension parts if you have no problem spinning the tires in 3rd gear. I'm near 500RWHP and I can't break loose in 2nd, and I'm not running anything special in the rear for tires.
I am. The problem is I'm lowered and my control arms are "tail up". Going to be putting some relocation brackets on next spring.

But the tires are also part of it, not to mention they're basically bald.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

What do you guys think of running the Nitto 555 R on the rear and NT05 on the front ?

How would that do.. or is it not advisable?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it would be fine, but don't expect to carve any corners with those tires in the back... the will fold over quickly. I used to run them on my 96z and they weren't good for turns... not very good in a straight line either lol I would go nt05r if you're insistent on a DR in the back
Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my NT05's, great summer performance tire. Better grip than the Goodyear F1's and just below the 555R's. I've gotten about 10k+ miles off mine vs. 5-6k that i would get off the 555R. NT05 is the best compromise between a street tire and performance tire period and would recommend these tires for cars under 450rwhp. Above 450rwhp drags would be mandatory to hook on the street. NT05 might be 20% more expensive but they last about twice as much as the 555R.

As far as cornering, don't have a G-meter but can say they inspire great confidence.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
I love my NT05's, great summer performance tire. Better grip than the Goodyear F1's and just below the 555R's. I've gotten about 10k+ miles off mine vs. 5-6k that i would get off the 555R. NT05 is the best compromise between a street tire and performance tire period and would recommend these tires for cars under 450rwhp. Above 450rwhp drags would be mandatory to hook on the street. NT05 might be 20% more expensive but they last about twice as much as the 555R.

As far as cornering, don't have a G-meter but can say they inspire great confidence.
Ya, from the looks of things everyone seems to love their nt05's on all 4 corners. I'll probably head in that direction

Quick Reply: Looking for best grip street tire for all 4 corners.. any ideas?