Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Firebird L36/A4 to LS1/T56 Formula Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 99 Firebird L36/A4 to LS1/T56 Formula Firehawk

This all started last year when my DD ( 01 SS H/C T56 ) took a dump on me. It had a 5X3 in it for the past 32K miles I put on it and the manley springs said no more. One night getting on the hwy to go home I heard some valve float at a very low rpm, I was already pushing it as I had heard some at high rpm about a month before and had been babying the car every since so I parked it that night. Im so lucky it got me home, thank god!!

At the time, I was putting together a cheap civic drag car ( $3K total ) to run high 10's. So that car quickly became my DD which was horrible, as it was completely gutted, and no back seats for the kids. After only putting about 1000 miles on the H22 motor, it broke a rod. Seeing as how it supposedly had 62K miles on the motor and had somehow consumed 5.5 quarts of oil in 1K miles I decided I was done with honda's.

I parted it out for $3300 and picked up this little guy to drive around while I worked on the LS1.

It looked good from 50ft, but the sail panel was never fixed and had tons of rock chips in the front bumper and scratches all over the car. Ive never been a big WS6 hood fan, so I started looking for Raptor hoods and in the process found a used OEM firehawk hood. It needed a ton of work but my buddy got it sorted out, removed the gfx, and sprayed a fresh coat of black.

My camaro is a hardtop, so it was designated as the race car since this has t-tops. After stripping the SS interior I finally had enough money for a new top end, cam, and turn-one power steering pump. I picked up a fuel tank, lines, and k-member from a member here ( littlemotor, big thanks ) and a cat-back from another member named deanm. Beaflag VonRathburg provided the QTP ORY I needed and I now had all the parts for the swap, couldnt have done it without this forum's great members and pricing!!

So last week I tore out the LS1/T56 combo, and of course the day I did it had to be freezing cold and a monsoon storm at night. Needless to say I was sick the next couple of days. And why in the world GM put one of those spring washers thats holds threads in place behind the pedal assembly on the clutch master cylinder is beyond me. 3 hours I spent on getting that one bolt out.

The motor is now back together and almost complete. Just need to get some bolts for the PS pump on tonight. Im still waiting on my racetronix fuel pump though from another member ( tonic ) so hopefully that shows up today. Heres what 6 of my manleys looked like;

and one spring seat was even demolished

The cam I chose to go with was a custom comp grind, 228/232 XEr on 110 lsa to keep that 5X3 type idle and have enough low end to pass people with ease in 6th on the hwy. I went with the new comp 918's ( .625 lift ) and tool grade steel retainers. They are actually lighter than the manley Ti retainer due to its size. 7.7 grams vs. 10.2

The heads right before slapping them on

I also picked up a set of grey leather for the car last week, so much more comfortable than the cloth that was in there. The goal for the car is to just be fun, have tons of low end torque, and look great. I also plan on sliding the car a bit ( hence the turn-one pump ). I just bought a set of Fikse Fm5's for her too this morning!! Im so excited I cant wait till this weekend. As for the camaro, I have an LS3/4L80/Fab9 for it. Just need a couple grand to place the order with MWC fab. I just cant drive this slow turd V6 anymore. Every night on my way home there at least two instances where the V8 would come in handy in passing some idiot riding in the left lane.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Me and my buddy didnt take any in process pics of the swap. Since the motor belongs in the car, its all really easy though. The hardest thing is definately the pedals in my case. First start vid in sig! I literally put everything from the camaro in the bird, gas tank, heater core hoses, A/C sytem, it was nice having a whole car sitting there.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The pedals were a major PITA on mine... Had to swap them since all '99+ V6 cars are drive by wire. Congrats!

P.S. I went with a Raptor hood on my swap... Funny how similar the cars are. Click my sig pic for the FQuick and pics of the swap.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yea I wanted the raptor hood, but at $750 it was just to much. I got the hawk hood for $500 and did some work for my buddy to fix and paint it. Hopefully I can wash and wax her this weekend for some completed pic's. Dang weather here has been terrible lately.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to put a heads/cam LQ9/T56 in my 1999 V6 Firebird and have a few questions. Did you guys have to modify the wiring in your cars? What year engine/transmission harness did you use? Any other tips you can think of? I will be starting a thread about my build shortly and would love any advise you guys might have!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

You'll want to use a 99+ engine harness and PCM. 98's are the odd ones on wiring. The wiring is really simple, even more so if the car is already a manual. All you have to do is splice the "B" wire on C101 (pink) to the "B" wire on C105 (also pink). Both plugs are located on the passenger side shock tower. I used ZexGx's build as my guide, so thanks for that!! Tons of great info and better pics> https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-w-pics.html

Quick Reply: 99 Firebird L36/A4 to LS1/T56 Formula Firehawk