Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Install

I will be doing my FLP tranny install this weekend. How much fluid should I need. And anything I should look out for?

Last edited by Ed LS1 Vert; 02-09-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

No one has done an install??
Old 02-09-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think it will be any harder than doing a converter. I assume you have done that. It will take about 8 qrts. But check it multiple times the first few times you drive it. Here is a link with everything you need. But you probably already have seen it http://modernmusclecars.net/articles...all/index.html
Old 02-10-2004, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ed LS1 Vert
I will be doing my FLP tranny install this weekend. How much fluid should I need. And anything I should look out for?
My car (a V6, but it should be pretty much the same back there) has a harness that runs along the back of the engine block. The geniuses at GM decided to put clamps from that harness, the top two bolts on the bellhousing (the ones that are the most difficult to get to, of course) go through the clamps.

Anyhow, make sure that the bolts are out of the clamps before you lower the tranny, or you'll end up hanging the tranny on the harness.

If the tranny hasn't been pulled before, the factory put industrial strength locktite on the bolts, so be ready for that. If you can find a tranny shop that has about a 4' long extension (I'm not joking), get it, you'll see what I mean. If the bolts still have the original locktite, they will seem like they are overtorqued, and then snap (you'll think you broke something) when they break loose.

Other than that, it's pretty straightforward, besides being a major b****. (Not necessarily in this order) Get the braces off, disconnect the shift linkage, disconnect the torque arm (you can leave the torque arm in), disconnect the harness to the valve body and the speedo sensor, pull the driveshaft, drain the fluid (makes it a bit lighter), unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel, get all of the bellhousing bolts out. Lastly, pull the crossmember, and then lower the tranny.

Have fun
Old 02-12-2004, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, we are doing it now. Wish us luck!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4' extension is a life saver.

Also the little clips on the cooler lines can really fly when they come off and are a bitch to find if they go sailing...
Old 02-14-2004, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
The 4' extension is a life saver.

Also the little clips on the cooler lines can really fly when they come off and are a bitch to find if they go sailing...
You were right. That extension helped alot to get off the bellhousing bolts.

Its up and running again. Thanks guys!