Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car idles higher on startup, please help

My car is as follows:
1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
5.7 with a gm hot cam, LS6 intake, ported throttle body

Here is my problem: When I start the car no matter what temperature the coolant is, the idle stays high when I am moving. When I come to a complete stop, the idle will settle down according to what the pcm is commanding, but it will do this very slowly. After I come to a complete stop about 3-4 times, sometimes more, the idle corrects and the car acts normal. I have changed the friction airflow and decay values, along with the throttle follower and throttle cracker to my liking. I have the throttle cracker set a bit lower and have them decay faster. But the car only acts the way I like it to behave only after I have come to a complete stop many times and let the idle settle each time. I've tried this when the engine is cold, and also turned the car off when warm and idling normal, but no matter what, I get the same result every time the engine is started.

The only thing I can possibly think of is before I got hp tuners a buddy with EFI live increased the time after cranking before the car will go into closed loop, but I cannot find this parameter anywhere on hp tuners software. I'm thinking maybe its all in my head and the problem is fixing after the car goes into closed loop after a longer than stock time?

Please help, I am going crazy here.