Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

possible rod knock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible rod knock?

I have a question for you guys. Ive had my first 98 z28 for about a few months. Ive been a ford guy and new to chevys. Yesterday after worked i started my car and it started making a ticking sound. Almost like a loose rocker arm, or a sticking lifter. However, it never misfired or anything. Ran smooth. I went to Autozone to get some Marvel Mystery and put it in ther eto see if it helped at all. They didn't have it so they ordered it

Well it came in today and as I was heading there the sound got worse. I could hear it while driving. So i pulled over and it sounds like rod knock, maybe hardcore piston slap. I'm not really sure.

Ill have to get a video so you guys can hear. What my question is why would it all the sudden start ticking/tapping when i started it after worked yesterday? It ran smooth no noises headed to work in the morning, then after work it sounds like that? any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres also this squeeking noise coming from the front too. We thought maybe the water pump bearing was going out so It ook the belt off and didn't change a thing. And the squeek is still there
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early LS motors are known for the their piston slap but it should go away after it warms up. If it doesn't go away then you need to start chasing it down.

I would get an engine stethoscope (yes they sell them and they are cheap) and see if you can pin point where the knock is coming from in the engine.