Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

easiest\fastest way to swap lq4 or 5.3l into my '67?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easiest\fastest way to swap lq4 or 5.3l into my '67?

Ive been thinking about this for awhile now and trying to do my research. And am now trying to figure the best or easiest way to make it work. I'm hoping for either a lq4 or 5.3 with an 80e behind it. Chances are they will be miss matched. Which I heard could be a problem? The other thing I was kind of worried about is the wiring. The first thing I thought of was having painless making me a new chassis harness and integrating the engine into it some how. But wasnt sure what I would do about a computer. Then some one told me I could run into body sensor issues? I really dont know if there is any validity in what he told me.

The other thing i was told was that FAST makes something thats suppose to make swapping damn near plug and play? But again I know if nothing about them or how they work so maybe some who has used one or knows more about them could chime in?

Also Im gonna run a mustang II front clip so I was wondering if id need a notched oil pan still? Also should add its a firebird.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I am in the middle of a swap now. My plan all along has been to do exhaustive research to avoid all the mistakes and do-overs I was bound to encounter. I can tell you that the best thing I have done so far is to read everything I can find on every aspect, then read more and then read some more.

You talk about engine, trans mismatches and computer problems etc. I would say, do your best to get the correct components to start with to avoid painting yourself into a corner once the build starts. I can't help but think the absolute best way for you to go would be to get the engine, trans, computer and harness from a single donor car. That would certainly simplify that process the most.

When it comes to oil pan, headers, accessory drives and such, you will have to research each of those individually for your application. Other peoples build threads are great sources of information for that.

Good luck and be sure to share your build so others can learn from your experiences!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Easiest would probably be a carb conversion with the MSD 6010. You can still use the 80e for the trans, just need an external controller (about $700). The rest is what speedtigger said, you have to research what everyone else has done for their 1st gen fbodies as well as anyone who has used a mustang II front clip.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

first of all why would you put a must.2 front clip in a first gen firebird? there is a million mfg. that make every part for f body suspensions. and why the 5.3 with a 4l80 tranny. are you going to run a ton of boost? if there was ever a easy swap it would be into a f body. every part including the motor mounts,headers .is avail. for this application. another good referance would be lat-g.net and pro touring .com there is also everything you need on this site.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

M2 clip for simplicity and great geometry of them. Car is To have a full frame built so having the front out to build on makes it easier. The clip is from hoffman so its 100% New parts, way better brakes than my factory drums, power rack. If you start adding up upgrading and replacing factory stuff it seemed like an easy decision. Plus it comes with bag bracket built in.

The 5.3 is just if I cant get my hands on an lq4. The 80e so I dont have to worry about burning it up. End result will hopefully have some sort of boosted motor. I'm trying to build a show car that will be driven daily.

I have most aspects of the swap figured out, other than getting the thing running. Ideally Ill get a donor truck but if cant find one I have a place I can get the motor and trannys but they dont keep the harnesses or computers. And they're typically split.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

M2 clip for simplicity and great geometry of them. Car is To have a full frame built so having the front out to build on makes it easier. The clip is from hoffman so its 100% New parts, way better brakes than my factory drums, power rack. If you start adding up upgrading and replacing factory stuff it seemed like an easy decision. Plus it comes with bag bracket built in.

The 5.3 is just if I cant get my hands on an lq4. The 80e so I dont have to worry about burning it up. End result will hopefully have some sort of boosted motor. I'm trying to build a show car that will be driven daily.

I have most aspects of the swap figured out, other than getting the thing running. Ideally Ill get a donor truck but if cant find one I have a place I can get the motor and trannys but they dont keep the harnesses or computers. And they're typically split.

Quick Reply: easiest\fastest way to swap lq4 or 5.3l into my '67?