Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help- Oil burning (smoke) issue on new motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Help- Oil burning (smoke) issue on new motor

I'm struggling a bit with an oil consumption issue on my ls6. This was a new build. The block honed to match a set of teflon coated lunati forged pistons from LPE. Each pistion was fit to it's respective bore for correct clearance. I used diamond rings and filed to fit. I've got cometic mls gaskets and head studs. The heads are Absolute Speed ls6 ported heads. The head was milled. The valves are 1.6 and 2.05 I believe. If I recall, the valve guide seals were blue in color.

The car runs incredibly strong, however after it warms up, it really starts smoking. There is oil on the threads of the spark plugs and on the bottom of the FAST intake. I have an oil catch can and do not believe that oil is being introduced that way. There is only a small amount of oil in the bottom of the catch can.

My compression is very consistent at 245-249 psi across all 8 cylinders.

When I built the motor I used permates thread sealer (white goo) on the rocker arm studs that are exposed in the intake runners. I forgot if I did that when I built the motor and pulled the studs. The threads were still white with the sealer but I went ahead and cleaned all the threads and reassambled with sealer.

I do not have any oil in the coolant. I don't think it would be a head gasket issue. I think it's either my heads (crappy valve guide seals?) or my piston rings not sealing. I'm running 10-30 dino oil for a while before switching to synthetic. It seems as though it may be getting a little worse as I go. I only have a couple hundred miles on the motor.

Are the (blue I think) Absolute Speed valve guide seals crap? Is there a valve to guide celarance issue? Could I have screwed up my piston rings/cylinder walls somehow? Could it really be blow by through the oil catch can? Does it just take a while for the diamond oil control rings to seal?

I love the performance but am really bummed about the smoke. Any theories are appreciated. I don't want to tear it apart unless I've exhausted all other options. I should probably invest in a leakdown tester to check my ring seal.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Bryan
Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it is the valve seals personally. I have no experience with those specific valve seals, but blue valve seals are generally viton, which is a good sealing material. Seeing as how it is a brand new build, I would say it is a ring sealing issue.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

Get it hot and pull the oil cap off, rev it up to about 2k. Does it huff out the oil cap hole? If it does them you have a ring sealing problem if it doesn't then you are probably sucking oil past the valve seals on high vacuum situations. BUT usually you see oil smoke problems from bad valve seals on closed throttle high vacuum, ring problems on low vacuum Wide open throttle. Try the oil cap test see what you find. You could try a leak down test too but i don't think that will show much because if its a ring problem its happening under high loads.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

I'm having the same problem my almost new engine burns oil but more under a load and a lot!! I have removed my oil cap when the engine is running and have no blow-by actually I have vacuum and I was told that it was a good sign and also that my engine still hasn't broken in yet so I been driving it but haven't seen an improvement