Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Unwillingly taking my Stripes off...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unwillingly taking my Stripes off...

August 2007 I had 35th anniversary silver metallic stripes professionally put on along with a brand new paint job of the whole front end of the car (Hood, fenders, bumper, ect.) of my Black 01 SS. I really fell in love with the color combo but now its time for a change. After a couple of years the stripes have began peeling back in some areas and its been annoying me for some time now. (Pictures to follow)

Ive utilized the search button on here but have yet to find sufficient information on the best way to remove the stripes w/o killing the paint. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I will get pictures up asap.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds bad that after 3-4 years, the stripes that were "professionally" put on are peeling. Was there any type of warranty with the job that would hold the professional responsible for taking care of this?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

if these are like a normal decal then you will want to utilize a heat gun and work slowly
Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Astro Eraser Wheel

It may take a while, but this will remove any vinyl stripes without burning or damaging the paint. When you're done you just wipe it down with some Meguiar's Quick Detail (or equivalent) and you're done.

You can buy these at any Auto Paint supply store, or order them online from various places. Just Google "Astro Eraser Wheel" and you'll find vendors.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a sililiar incident happen to me with my S-10. I had stripes put on when it was a year old or so, everything was fine. It was rear ended and needed a trip to the body shop. I was scheduled to go back to Germany very soon and stressed this to the body shop. I picked it up at the body shop about a week later, all was well. Upon picking my truck up in Germany and driving it for a couple of months, I noticed what appeared to be glue residue on the sides of the stripes on the tailgate. As time went on I would notice it again and clean it off. The stripes was being pulled together by something. The stripes started to have a very wrinkley appearance. I just pulled them off of the whole truck and cleaned the residue with goo-gone.

I believe the new paint somehow was shrinking and causing the stripes to shrink as well.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

heat gun and patience
Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
I had a sililiar incident happen to me with my S-10. I had stripes put on when it was a year old or so, everything was fine. It was rear ended and needed a trip to the body shop. I was scheduled to go back to Germany very soon and stressed this to the body shop. I picked it up at the body shop about a week later, all was well. Upon picking my truck up in Germany and driving it for a couple of months, I noticed what appeared to be glue residue on the sides of the stripes on the tailgate. As time went on I would notice it again and clean it off. The stripes was being pulled together by something. The stripes started to have a very wrinkley appearance. I just pulled them off of the whole truck and cleaned the residue with goo-gone.

I believe the new paint somehow was shrinking and causing the stripes to shrink as well.
This sounds like what happened to me because the paint was brand new and the stripes were put on directly after that.

As far as insurance goes I really don't think so.

I'm going to look into that eraser wheel but I might end up just going with the heat gun and patience (something I definitely lack). Pictures will be on tomorrow thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eraser wheel is the only way to go..
Old 01-09-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

+1 for the 3m eraser wheel
Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Launching!

I thought I read the eraser wheel was not safe on fiberglass surfaces? Is that correct?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Eraser wheel is good, but it is easy to burn through paint, so if you have no experience with it I wouldn't recommend jumping into it. I'd probably go the heat gun route and patience.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbird31
Eraser wheel is good, but it is easy to burn through paint, so if you have no experience with it I wouldn't recommend jumping into it. I'd probably go the heat gun route and patience.
Couldnt say it better...
Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tbird31
well im retarded and bought one to pull my old stripes off. worked perfect and didnt have any burning issues and used it on my fiberglass hood.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Here area couple of pics, sorry for the quality car was a little dusty.

Quick Reply: Unwillingly taking my Stripes off...