Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

02 z28 hu swap to 99 ta

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 z28 hu swap to 99 ta

i was wondering if the head units interchange my friend and i are wanting swap but didnt know if they would work
Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it should work. Just try it as it only takes about two minutes to get a headunit out.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The head units are physically interchangeable and will work but there are differences and some potential functional issues.

The two models have different features and looks. Firebird HUs are dark gray with gray controls and a red illuminated display. Camaro HUs are black with black controls and blue/white illumination. Firebirds have a graphic equalizer and power antenna but Camaros have speed compensated volume. The Camaro HU will control the power antenna when plugged into the Firebird but it will lose the speed compensated volume because the Firebird wiring harness doesn't have the necessary signal.

The different model years also create a potential problem. CD head units from 1999 did not have the ability to control an external CD changer which also means that they can't use any of the available auxiliary input adapters.