Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pinion angle question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Pinion angle question

Finally got to take my car out and take it up through the RPM's after the install of my new rear/spohn TA and i have a bit of a vibration on the top end. rigth now my trans is at -4*(removed D.S. to measure angle from output shaft) and the rear is pointing up at +2* this in all makes for -2* pinion angle but all the things i have read is you want the rear to be pointing towards the ground. I was trying to move my trans up tonight to make the trans center line 0* but had no luck. I unbolted the crossmember from the trans and added some washers under the mount thinking it would raise the rear of the trans to bring the angle up to 0* but it didnt. has anyone ever shimmed their trans to bring it up to 0* from a (-) number and how did you do it? I really want to get my rear and trans to 0* and then adjust from there.

JR
Old 02-10-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

no ones ever done this to try and bring the center line up?

JR
Old 02-11-2004, 10:53 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your angles are all wrong the trans is down the pinion nose is up?
You are measuring w/shaft in & at ride height?
Best thing I can show you is this, I know it's 4X4 stuff but still helps get the point across, you want to set the pinion downward for traction .
On hard accel the nose will climb up.
Look here; www.4x4wire.com/tech/pinionangle/
Old 02-12-2004, 06:27 AM
TECH Resident

i have a pit in my garage so the car is sitting on its weigth all around. I just want to raise the trans angle the 4* so it can adjust the pinion angle downward the way it should be. I measured it w/ the shaft out so i could put the angle finder on the output shaft like i was told by someone else to get the exact engine/trans centerline. Even by looking at it you can tell the rears pointing up and trans has a downward angle.

JR
Old 02-12-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

ever consider that the trans is not level because the ground isn't? leave the trans alone, adjust the pinion angle via the adjuster on the torque arm.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

I took that into consideration before i took the angles of the trans and the garage floor has only a -.5* tilt to it.

JR
Old 02-13-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

3-4 degrees of engine/tranny tilt is normal. Angle of the garage floor doesn't matter...what matters is the difference between the transmission angle and the rear angle with the car resting on it's suspension.
Since your transmission output is angled 4 degrees down, then the setting on the pinion that would be parallel to that is 4 degrees up. Since our cars like about 2 degrees of negative pinion angle in relation to the transmission output, you should adjust the torque am until the pinion reads 2 degrees up.
The goal isn't to have the pinion pointing down, it is to have the transmission, driveshaft, and rear-end come into perfectly straight alignment when you are accelerating....whether it is at 0 degrees or -10 degrees doesn't matter.
Since you have set your pinion angle to this already, you should adjust the pinion angle .5 degrees in both directions and see if either way helps. Continue to make small adjustments until the vibration is minimized.

http://www.rosslertrans.com/Tips/Pinon.htm

Quick Reply: Pinion angle question