Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Advise needed, 5.3 transplant what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advise needed, 5.3 transplant what to do?

Taking a L33 5.3 out of a 2005 Sliverado to transplan into a project car. I have the ECM, entire engine harness and gas peddle (DBW). Do I attempt to use the stock stuff or buy an aftermarket like Megasquirt, Holley ect? Is there a basic plug and play that will make this transplant less painful? One that is not priced out of wack?

At some point I plan to go with a turbo so the system will need to be flexible enough to allow the turbo.

Thx for the advise!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, the L33 is a GenIII engine as were all truck engines until the 2007 classics.

Second, you can use the stock stuff just fine. Some of the sponsors make and modify harnesses. I know Painless does as well. I have no idea on the price, but quite a bit of work goes into those.

The stock ECM will work with a turbo as well. I ran a turbo on my 5.3 with the stock computer and MAF up to 10psi, which is about the MAF's limit, then you need to go to 2-bar or 3 bar. That requires a custom operating system which can be run on the stock PCM as well.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coban
First off, the L33 is a GenIII engine as were all truck engines until the 2007 classics.

Second, you can use the stock stuff just fine. Some of the sponsors make and modify harnesses. I know Painless does as well. I have no idea on the price, but quite a bit of work goes into those.

The stock ECM will work with a turbo as well. I ran a turbo on my 5.3 with the stock computer and MAF up to 10psi, which is about the MAF's limit, then you need to go to 2-bar or 3 bar. That requires a custom operating system which can be run on the stock PCM as well.
Your Da-Man. Thanx for the help!

Quick Reply: Advise needed, 5.3 transplant what to do?