help degreeing a cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help degreeing a cam

I'm in the process of doing a heads/cam swap on an LS1. I have the engine out of the car on a stand. The heads are 243's milled .030 and a TSP Torquer V3. I've been told with my setup I shouldn't have an issue with PTV clearance but I do. I installed timing gears dot to dot but I guess I need to degree my cam and figure out what the problem is. I have never degreed a cam before and don't have the tools. I'm running out of time to get my car done because I deploy in another month and a half so I have to get something done on this. If there is someone willing to help/teach me to degree my cam I'll bring my engine to where ever so I can get this done.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much clearance do you have on the intake and exhaust side? Did you modify a stock lifter and make it solid to check? Using a soft checker spring on the valve?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

The intake valve had slight contact with the piston and I didn't even measure the exhaust. when I checked I was not using a solid lifter I had a new LS7 lifter. Today while I'm at work I'm making two of my old lifters solid to check it all again tonight. In my other post everyone is saying that there is no way my clearance should be that close and I should have plenty of room. I lined it up dot to dot and its got very light contact. Maybe the solid lifter will help some to get a better measurement
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are hitting when measured correctly on the intake, it'd be worthwile to check and see if the exhaust has extra clearance (indicating it is off a tooth perhaps).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah i'll try that