Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

CNC port shops opinions inside.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNC port shops opinions inside.

I recently sent my GM L92 cylinder heads out to be CNCd complete, and have all new valve train installed for my build, well the heads came back and this is what they look like, does anyone see any issues with the CNC work in the intake/exhaust ports. I will not mention at this time the name of the shop, but would like some opinions on there work.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you can judge how well a head performs/flows by looking at it.

A CNC machine is just a bit on an arm that moves inside the port and removes to the depth programmed on the axis it is told to (very simply). If there isn't metal to be removed due to casting variation, it won't remove something that isn't there. It is very consistent work, but castings vary in shape etc. One casting may require more metal or less to be removed than another.

How did the heads flow?

I say bolt them on and try them. A little bit of metal from the right places often results in better performance than a huge amount being removed for no reason. You don't want a huge port that flows like a turbulent sewer drain.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea its hard to say if its a bad CNC job with out knowing flow numbers. For a clean up and mild CNC on stock heads it looks about normal
Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I know on my WCCH Stage 2 L92's Richard didn't touch every square millimeter of the port - because it wasn't necessary. My Stage 3 heads he did.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

i agree with the guys above it's not the look you want it how they perform. the machine takes out what needs to be taken out. don't get hung up on the look.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Just got mine back from TEA stg2. most areas were machined but there was still a few places that the cnc left alone. It all depend what they do on the motor and your application.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by allblowdup
Just got mine back from TEA stg2. most areas were machined but there was still a few places that the cnc left alone. It all depend what they do on the motor and your application.

Are your heads L29s or Cathedral port? I have a set of 5.3 stage 3 TEAs cathedral port and they are some awsome heads, and they perform like no other, TEA was my first choice, but getting them to return phone calls is like calling Obama...lol
Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nasti98Z
Are your heads L29s or Cathedral port? I have a set of 5.3 stage 3 TEAs cathedral port and they are some awsome heads, and they perform like no other, TEA was my first choice, but getting them to return phone calls is like calling Obama...lol
Are you saying TEA is taking money from people who work hard for it and giving free heads to people who are too lazy to get off their asses?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Are you saying TEA is taking money from people who work hard for it and giving free heads to people who are too lazy to get off their asses?
I think that's what he saying!!! Haha
I'll be giving them a call, I mean TEA.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Mine are ls3 heads.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Good point, bad example, anyway they dont return phone call, and it sucks, they do BAD AZZ work.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by allblowdup
Mine are ls3 heads.
If you have not put them on the car, Could you post some pics of your ports, and flow #s, Thanx.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
yea its hard to say if its a bad CNC job with out knowing flow numbers. For a clean up and mild CNC on stock heads it looks about normal
Exactly! but this shop does not give flow #s with there heads, just a basic CAD photo of what he claims they flow, I am having them flowed to compare to his chart, funny no flow chart, Its like buying a new car and not getting a title...lol
Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

[QUOTE=Tireburnin;14350349]

How did the heads flow?

QUOTE]

Very good question, maybee you can tell me what yours flowed, and I could get a basic idea, I did not get any info, even after asking for it...strange!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

It doesnt take much to make the LS3 heads flow well..Was this a stage 1 type CNC job or was it supposed to be an all out CNC job?? What flow numbers did they say they could get out of them with their CNC work??
Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by chriswtx
It doesnt take much to make the LS3 heads flow well..Was this a stage 1 type CNC job or was it supposed to be an all out CNC job?? What flow numbers did they say they could get out of them with their CNC work??
From what was agreed and what I was invoiced for, was a complete CNC port job, In/Ex/CC, as for the flow #s like I said he would not give me any, he sent me a CAD flow profile in a email stating this is what his L92/LS3 heads flowed for example, he claimed...In 349.4 @ 28"H20 4.030 bore, at .600 lift Ex 217.5, we will see I had to leave the shop but they are going to flow them, in the exact state he claims the #s Those actually are nothing all that great considering Richard at WCCH flowed a stock set and got 328 In and 214 Ex @ .600. I am considering putting them on the shelf, and trying to get ahold of TEA or WCCH. Im not Happy at this point
Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Launching!

From what was agreed and what I was invoiced for, was a complete CNC port job, In/Ex/CC, as for the flow #s like I said he would not give me any, he sent me a CAD flow profile in a email stating this is what his L92/LS3 heads flowed for example, he claimed...In 349.4 @ 28"H20 4.030 bore, at .600 lift Ex 217.5, we will see I had to leave the shop but they are going to flow them, in the exact state he claims the #s Those actually are nothing all that great considering Richard at WCCH flowed a stock set and got 328 In and 214 Ex @ .600. I am considering putting them on the shelf, and trying to get ahold of TEA or WCCH. Im not Happy at this point
I've have read many times that flow numbers alone don't necessary dictate how a head will perform. If I'm correct in who I think ported the heads, I have seen nothing but stellar results from them. My friend sent his heads to TEA and he has reported the same lack of communication from them as you stated. I find it very bizzare in this economy when someone is willing to provide you with business and you can't return the call.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by STAR
I've have read many times that flow numbers alone don't necessary dictate how a head will perform. If I'm correct in who I think ported the heads, I have seen nothing but stellar results from them. My friend sent his heads to TEA and he has reported the same lack of communication from them as you stated. I find it very bizzare in this economy when someone is willing to provide you with business and you can't return the call.
The Co. is a sponser on this site, that is why I have not mentioned there name, seems like if you say something bad about a sponser, they ban you from this site regardless if you have legit issue or not, its all about the $$$, I will PM the Co. to you and see if it is who you think. Also you are correct it does not dictate the head, but...you would think if you spend $1500+ on a set of heads from a reptable CNC shop who claims they flow your heads, they would pass the info on to the customer, strange concept.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Teching In

just remember when you get those heads flow not all flow benches read the same. even if its the same machine same test pressure and all that sometimes there will be variences in the final outcome.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly! but this shop does not give flow #s with there heads, just a basic CAD photo of what he claims they flow, I am having them flowed to compare to his chart, funny no flow chart, Its like buying a new car and not getting a title...lol
So, let me get this straight...you couldn't get any flow numbers from them to get an idea of what you would be getting but you send the heads to them anyway? If all they can do is send you a CAD photo and not give you some real world numbers maybe you shouldn't have went with them.

I was already dealing with TSP for my rotating assembly and so I sent them my heads and had them back in a week and a half. Ported and spring change. Cost me a grand to get them done. They already had flow #'s on their site and a few people are already running their l92's with great success so it was a no brainer.

Quick Reply: CNC port shops opinions inside.