LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Newb needs help selecting cam combo for my LT1 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb needs help selecting cam combo for my LT1 build

Hey everyone, I'm new here and have done quite a bit of reading trying to figure out a good combo for my engine. I have a 95 buick roadmaster that I think I am going to build a 383 for. The engine locked up and depending on the machine work that needs to be done, I am just going to buy an eagle stroker kit. The car is going to mostly be stock, I am looking for something very driveable with only mods really being the cam, headwork and more displacement. I want it to keep decent fuel economy (mid teens), I will be most likely shifting near the factory shift point, probably around 5500. I am eyeing a comp cams 08-501-8 for my application, is this a good choice? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This has been covered 10 times in the past month. There's more info available than you think.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no need for a 383 if its going to be mostly stock and if you want to use the extra cubes cam and heads your going to need the mods to support it like CAI and headers and full exhaust. Call up Llyod Elliot or Advanced Inductions on the cams and heads they will steer you in the right direction for what you want.

Just spend the money on the cam and heads instead of the 383 you will get plenty out of a 355
Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA

This has been covered 10 times in the past month. There's more info available than you think.
I've read through a lot but it seems that everyone in question drive f bodies or something similar, my roadmaster is much heavier.

Originally Posted by Lawhead
no need for a 383 if its going to be mostly stock and if you want to use the extra cubes cam and heads your going to need the mods to support it like CAI and headers and full exhaust. Call up Llyod Elliot or Advanced Inductions on the cams and heads they will steer you in the right direction for what you want.

Just spend the money on the cam and heads instead of the 383 you will get plenty out of a 355
Only reason for the stroker is because I'm already going to need a crank. A eagle rotating assembly (I realize people don't love them but I don't plan on pushing it very hard) is not much more than just buying a factory rebuild kit.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Can you post a link to a thread asking what he's asked from the past month?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Can you post a link to a thread asking what he's asked from the past month?
Nah. My search skills suck. Can you do it for me instead?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yea the extra will help you in the torque dept and thats what you need to move that barge. Stay low on the duration. Lower duration will aid in the torq multiplication..
Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Nah. My search skills suck. Can you do it for me instead?
Nah, I didn't make the asinine remark.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

If suggesting a search is considered asinine, I can only imagine what most of your posts have been! Wow!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

If suggesting a search is considered asinine, I can only imagine what most of your posts have been! Wow!
Your response looked cut and paste. You didn't read his initial post otherwise you'd have seen it was much different than any recent post on cam selection and a quick reply instead of suggesting a search would have easily sufficed.

That's what made it asinine.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh I'm sorry...I didn't know the LS1tech Ethic Police was on patrol! I'll be sure to be more careful next time officer.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Which Eagle crank (and kit for that matter) are you looking at? Forged or cast?

Because you have a heavier car I think you are going in the right direction with wanting a 383 low-er revving engine, and the right cam will definitely help make that engine a low RPM torque monster. What heads do you plan to use? You also mentioned some mild head work you plan to do?

As someone suggested talking with either Lloyd Elliot or Advanced Induction about the cam and overall setup will help you out a lot. Forget the 355 idea - build a big **** 383 that will move that boat of yours and do so easily in the low (typical driving) RPM's
http://www.jegs.com/i/Eagle/356/B13454L/10002/-1

That is the kit I'm looking at. I've read where people have had failures with the crank, but in most cases they were running forced induction of some sort or were turning higher rpm's with them. Since I won't be doing either I felt that a cast crank would be ok.

I will probably use a stock set of aluminum heads from a camaro with mild port and polish work done. I have read that one of the biggest limiting factors of the LT1 is the heads, and while I can't afford a set of aftermarkets I figured I could at least get some more air out of the stock ones. I also figured that it would allow me to run higher compression.

That was my plan at least, I am more interested in torque. That's how I felt my situation differed from most that I have been reading about, everyone else has ligher cars and are interested in big cams, different power bands etc. That cam that I picked out has fairly low duration compared to stock.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/08-501-8/10002/-1

How bad of gas mileage do you think I'll get? Can I use a stock converter (I really don't wany a higher stall).
Old 01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going about this all backwards IMO
If you want a stock like engine why not rebuild a stock motor with maybe a Cam only type build? There is really no reason to go with the 383 the stock cranks in the LT1's are said to be good to 500+ HP.

If its price your looking for best bang for your buck type thing I would find a nice low mile Short block throw a heads and cam package on it and you will have plenty for your power goal.

The 383 LT1 seems to becoming more of a badge for people then people wanting to put the extra cubes to use.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Put a junkyard motor in it, you will be further ahead than a cheap rotating assembly build like you have proposed. This coming from someone with basically the same you you have, hell I own a couple wagons too.
Could put a little cam in it like the Crane 227 or the Lingenfelter 211/219
Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Money
http://www.jegs.com/i/Eagle/356/B13454L/10002/-1
That is the kit I'm looking at. I've read where people have had failures with the crank, but in most cases they were running forced induction of some sort or were turning higher rpm's with them. Since I won't be doing either I felt that a cast crank would be ok.

I will probably use a stock set of aluminum heads from a camaro with mild port and polish work done. I have read that one of the biggest limiting factors of the LT1 is the heads, and while I can't afford a set of aftermarkets I figured I could at least get some more air out of the stock ones. I also figured that it would allow me to run higher compression.

That was my plan at least, I am more interested in torque. That's how I felt my situation differed from most that I have been reading about, everyone else has ligher cars and are interested in big cams, different power bands etc. That cam that I picked out has fairly low duration compared to stock.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/08-501-8/10002/-1

How bad of gas mileage do you think I'll get? Can I use a stock converter (I really don't wany a higher stall).
Dont expect this crowd, except for 96caprice, to really understand your motives. They're all lightweights
I've seen a few engines done this way for B-bodies over the years with some good results, so I can answer some of your questions without feeling the need to crap all over your seemingly unorthodox idea Your imposed limitations of 5500 rpm and stock TC actually make that small cam a decent choice for goals of big torque and good fuel mileage. Mileage will be very close to stock, high teens in mixed driving.
Revving to 5500 , you will probably never hurt even that cheap crank. I've seen one of those last over 100k miles in an engine that was revved to mid/high 6k's frequently (but I still wouldn't put it in MY car!)
I'd go no higher than 11:1 compression with that 501 cam. BTW, it's quite a bit higher duration than stock (212 vs 192 intake duration), however its quick lobes still will yield a good dynamic CR.
That setup with home-ported iron heads and stock rockers has gone high 11's in a 4000 lb Impala: http://www.top-et.com/impalass/Retur....asp?RunID=420

Last edited by bowtienut; 01-12-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks, bowtienut. I plan on running 10.5:1 compression, so hopefully that won't be an issue. I sent you a PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Try a search in here with broken eagle cranks, I think you will change your mind !! GL
Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Dont expect this crowd, except for 96caprice, to really understand your motives. They're all lightweights
I've seen a few engines done this way for B-bodies over the years with some good results, so I can answer some of your questions without feeling the need to crap all over your seemingly unorthodox idea Your imposed limitations of 5500 rpm and stock TC actually make that small cam a decent choice for goals of big torque and good fuel mileage. Mileage will be very close to stock, high teens in mixed driving.
Revving to 5500 , you will probably never hurt even that cheap crank. I've seen one of those last over 100k miles in an engine that was revved to mid/high 6k's frequently (but I still wouldn't put it in MY car!)
I'd go no higher than 11:1 compression with that 501 cam. BTW, it's quite a bit higher duration than stock (212 vs 192 intake duration), however its quick lobes still will yield a good dynamic CR.
That setup with home-ported iron heads and stock rockers has gone high 11's in a 4000 lb Impala: http://www.top-et.com/impalass/Retur....asp?RunID=420
Pat, far as Mike's tiny cam 383 running high 11s I think it CRITICAL to point out that the engine was a fairly minor part of that. Your bolton (350 with stock cam) only setup ran .5 seconds slower looks like same track same day. Similar weight, similar stall, he had deeper gears but taller tires, call that a wash. From the ET page descriptions the car were actually very similar.

So ported heads and the extra displacement with the baby cam were worth .5 seconds, on VERY well setup car, you two have both been at the top of your classes, these are not average results.

Just wanted to point that out because someone will read your post and think a baby cam 383 will take a 15 second car and turn it into an 11 second one.

IMO, Mike's car would have run similar with the ported heads and that cam on a stock shortblock, it was a very well setup car by a very sharp guy at a very fast track at a very fast time of year. For the rest of you the same car with a solid roller 383 and Advanced Induction heads and the supporting further modifications now runs mid 10s NA.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All good points, Dwayne. I was just throwing an extreme case out there to show a cam that size is not as limiting as the majority of people's setups are.
Another observation of relevance to the OP: I drove Mike's car with that cam and 3.73 gears in it, and it was extremely snappy. And when cruising with the TCC locked, just leaning into the throttle slightly gave you a push like you would expect from a much lighter car. For stock TC and mild gearing, that 501 cam is a great choice for a stroker in a heavy car.
No argument that you can get more outright performance with a good topend on a 350/355, but not with stock TC and gearing.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

I've had good luck with the eagle cast but don't trust it much beyond what I'm doing with it. when funds become available I will be upgrading to a better rotating assembly as I used this one to simply see if I could build a motor and didn't want to find out on a $2000 rotating assembly.

as for what to do with your car, if you want mid-teens gas mileage with a 4200-4400lb car I'd just throw in a used motor with a mild cam personally. a higher compression h/c 383 isn't gonna help the mpg.

Quick Reply: Newb needs help selecting cam combo for my LT1 build