Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, have problem, details inside.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Help, have problem, details inside.

I have a miss in my engine, a friend of mine says it sounded to him like one of the coils isn't firing the plug in one cyl.

Has anyone else had this problem? As far as I can remember, this is the first I've heard of one of the coils going out on one of these cars. If this is not likely the problem, are there any more suggestions as to what might be causing the problem.

About the best way I can describe it is a flat miss at idle, and a good bit of hesitation under power. I had originally thought it was a broken lifter or valve spring, and I still think it may be one or the other, but I wanted to ask about the possibility of the coil theory, since that would be a much easier and cheaper fix.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys have always been a great source of help and advice, so I hope some one out there can help me this time!

Thanks again,
Taco
Old 02-10-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You here any ticking from the engine? If so, then it could be bent pushrods and even worse a valve. A broken valve would cause the hesitation and miss.

It's possible it could be a bad coil. You'd be better off checking the wires and plugs before replacing the coils or pulling the valve covers.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also agree with checking the plugs and wires. I had a bad hesitation and got them changed. I got the car back and it was like driving a new car again. I couldn't believe what a difference plugs and wires made.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check your wires first, they are usually the culprit as they would fail alot easier than a coil. it may be time to replace them and your plugs.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

My car was doing the same thing not a week ago. It ended up being a damn 02 sensor.

Ryan