LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help with next mod!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with next mod!

Hello guys, i am a new member of LS1tech and am having trouble deciding what mod i should do next. My car is a 97 camaro ss and currently has the following mods.

Pacesetter LT headers with full 3" exhaust through an x-pipe
BBK 58mm TB
Edelbrock rpm air-gap intake manifold
March underdrive pullies
160 degree stat

Stock otherwise
My goal for the engine is 400rwhp
I just recently purchased a set of scorpion 1.6 nsa rr but have not installed them.
I am unsure what springs to use in the swap so if anyone has some suggestions and or links i would really appreciate them. So let me know what you guys think i should do next and any suggestions on parts would be great.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well sorry to break the news to you that Edelbrock manifold is trash and will lose you more horsepower then gain. The 58 MM TB is also A waste but people here will steer you right!!

The 1.6s on this more is a good mod I'm actually going 1.7s but you will at least need the LT4 springs for the extra lift. 400 HP is going to take a H/C/I. Llyod elliot has great prices on a Heads and cam package and will get you to the 400 HP mark then your 58 MM throttle body would be put to use! What are you looking to spend because thats the big factor with any build
Old 01-14-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the bottom end is good then it's just about time to think about call Lloyd elliot or Advanced Induction to see about a top end kit. I can tell you this though, the RPM intake will not be used to reach 400hp. Lloyd can tell you more about that but he will want the stock one so he can port it and open it up for the 58mm TB. You may also not like this but the BBK's are not the best TB in the world especially when it comes to modified engines. Some problems exists that you will need to deal with. I say save the Rockers for the top end kit and do either Lloyds LE2 heads or AI has some nice stuff. and let them pick a cam for them. Other than that figure out what top end you want to use and call who ever and talk to them about parts you should use and start getting the parts together so when you decide to go ahead and do it you have what you need.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't seen any tests where the edlebrock intake lost power comparted to a (unported) stocker so I wouldn't call it trash, but I haven't seen it make any more power either...so it is pretty much a waste probably. You've already got it though. If you just got 1.6 NSA rockers, make sure you switch to hardened pushrods and guideplates at the same time you do the springs/nsa rockers.

Also you didn't mention what type of air induction you currently have? Stock SS ram air?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

58mm TB is definitely not a waste for the OP's goals... what are you guys talking about? You need that extra air flow when you're making some decent power. It might be a waste at the moment, but not when he upgrades everything else... Yeah that Edelbrock intake is a waste of money though.

For 400rwhp shoot for either a LE or AI H/C/I package..

stock ported heads
stock ported intake opened up for that 58mm TB
Custom grind cam
Old 01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Well sorry to break the news to you that Edelbrock manifold is trash and will lose you more horsepower then gain. The 58 MM TB is also A waste but people here will steer you right!!

The 1.6s on this more is a good mod I'm actually going 1.7s but you will at least need the LT4 springs for the extra lift. 400 HP is going to take a H/C/I. Llyod elliot has great prices on a Heads and cam package and will get you to the 400 HP mark then your 58 MM throttle body would be put to use! What are you looking to spend because thats the big factor with any build
uhhh like i said in the first post.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

spray it
Old 01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by iWon
58mm TB is definitely not a waste for the OP's goals... what are you guys talking about? You need that extra air flow when you're making some decent power. It might be a waste at the moment, but not when he upgrades everything else... Yeah that Edelbrock intake is a waste of money though.

For 400rwhp shoot for either a LE or AI H/C/I package..

stock ported heads
stock ported intake opened up for that 58mm TB
Custom grind cam
Dude... really??? Re read it. No one said it was trash it was pointless untill he dose some head and cam work and not to mention BBK's do NOT have the best track record. I own one
Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I haven't seen any tests where the edlebrock intake lost power comparted to a (unported) stocker so I wouldn't call it trash, but I haven't seen it make any more power either...so it is pretty much a waste probably. You've already got it though. If you just got 1.6 NSA rockers, make sure you switch to hardened pushrods and guideplates at the same time you do the springs/nsa rockers.

Also you didn't mention what type of air induction you currently have? Stock SS ram air?
As far as a full out top end build they do restrict a tad because there is not enough material to them to open them up as much as the stocker. This is what I have been told by Lloyd Elliot.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Like everyone else had said call AI or LE and talk to them. You have a good start but ditch the Edelcrap intake and get a stock one ported for the 58mm. As long as the bottom end is good a good h/c package will get you to your goal.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input guys. I am actually considering LE2 heads and a custom cam.
To answer an earlier question i have ram air. Do any of you know if there is an advantage of using a CAI over the ram air? If so what are some of the better CAI options for my car.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

keep the ram air
Old 01-14-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep the ram air, definitely. It comes with a few more advantages than just HP gains.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am surprised to see people saying to keep the ram air. Every other thread I have seen calls the SS ram air junk compared to any CAI made. I have only seen a few SS owners claim it ran just as good as a K&N or Moroso. I have seen is the same threads alot of times people are showing pics of the aftermarket ram air set-ups (from Suncoast & RK Sport) as an example. I have seen those and have a GM/SLP air box, and the factory stuff is has alot better bends and radius than those aftermarket ones.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

So, every here is agreeing on AT least doing H/C from LLoyd or AI.. You could actually send then your factory heads for porting and they will rebuild them using quality parts, and since your already sending them things.. throw your factory intake (if you still) have it and they will open up and port that as well.

So far your going in the right direction.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

Yeah ram air is just as good 99% of the time as a CAI, and better when you are doing 1/4 mile runs. The faster you get moving the more air it can grab.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

This guy is a joke. I sold him a bell housing for a 3.4 said he needed it asap and gave me the wrong address so it came back to me said he didnt have the money at the moment to pay for the shipping the second time and now his number is disconnected. Send multiple texts before phone was shut off. all i want is the money for the shipping...
Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Is your car a auto or a 6spd? Took a quick look didnt see trans type anywhere
Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

this thread is a year old. ****
Old 01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Damn didnt even notice! lol