Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Clutch fluid replacement help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fluid replacement help!!

Ok, I have an 05 M6 w/86k on what I believe to be the original clutch. I dont seem to be having any issues with the clutch slipping. I decided to change my clutch fluid as the fluid that was in it was practically coffee color. I used whats been described as the "Ranger" method and after doing so I noticed there was clutch fluid on my driveway under my vehicle. I haven't had any issues with loss of fluid levels. Obviously this happened while I was in the process of pumping the clutch and recycling the old clutch fluid with the new. I let it sit over night and still no fluid loss. Drove it and still fluid levels seem to be good. Should I be concerned ??
Old 01-16-2011, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

You sure you didn't just spill some without noticing? I've done it this way and don't see how you could have messed anything up.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by SickDenali
You sure you didn't just spill some without noticing? I've done it this way and don't see how you could have messed anything up.
I suppose I possibly could have. Its the only thing I can figure seeing that its a simple procedure and I dont have any fluid loss. Thanks for the response! I dont suppose you know of a good way to test my clutch to see if Im coming close to replacement time?? Im not having any slipping issues. Pior to changing my fluid I was having issues with it not so smoothly going into 1st gear. Mainly when its cold. Since the replacement it seems to be smoother.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

I use the same method on my car...I'm nursing the stock clutch at 460RWHP, lol.

I think you probably just dripped a bit out of the baster...if it was a real leak you would know it. Just be very careful...brake fluid (clutch fluid) is very corrosive to painted surfaces. I always put some shop rags around the MC to catch any drips and a large towel on the fender, just in case.

I've been told and read on various forums that a good test for the clutch is put the car in 4th at 40MPH and floor it..if it goes, you're good, if it slips then the clutch is on its way out.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by FryZ71
I use the same method on my car...I'm nursing the stock clutch at 460RWHP, lol.

I think you probably just dripped a bit out of the baster...if it was a real leak you would know it. Just be very careful...brake fluid (clutch fluid) is very corrosive to painted surfaces. I always put some shop rags around the MC to catch any drips and a large towel on the fender, just in case.

I've been told and read on various forums that a good test for the clutch is put the car in 4th at 40MPH and floor it..if it goes, you're good, if it slips then the clutch is on its way out.
Yeah I have done that and the clutch isn't slipping. Im running practically stock other that X-pipe w/ muffler delete and K&N CAI. Im getting a custom tune in a couple weeks. Im told I will be able to feel the difference substantialy. I can see feeling the difference in an auto, but will it be that noticable in an M6 ??
Old 01-16-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Honestly, if I was you I'd run w/ the stock tune w/ your mods and save for some long tube headers, then get it tuned. Your car will run fine w/ the stock tune in it w/ only muffler deletes and a CAI. Might want to throw the stock muffs back on it after the LTs...it wil be loud w/ the deletes.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Launching!

If it aint broke dont fix it ,

Thats my take on it lol

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid replacement help!!