Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What is this seal/gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this seal/gasket?

Ok my friend has an LS2 Corvette. He had an oil leak so I took the oil pan off and saw the front cover wasnt flush with the bottom of the block causeing a front cover/pan leak. So I took the water pump, balancer and front cover off and after I got all that off I looked down and saw this seal laying on the leaf spring. Its bigger than the crank snout but snaps on the end of the balancer perfect. I've had quite a few ls's apart and never seen one. I wasn't for sure if it was LS2 specific. Anyways thanks for the help and sorry for the pic quality.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by aarontracy
Ok my friend has an LS2 Corvette. He had an oil leak so I took the oil pan off and saw the front cover wasnt flush with the bottom of the block causeing a front cover/pan leak. So I took the water pump, balancer and front cover off and after I got all that off I looked down and saw this seal laying on the leaf spring. Its bigger than the crank snout but snaps on the end of the balancer perfect. I've had quite a few ls's apart and never seen one. I wasn't for sure if it was LS2 specific. Anyways thanks for the help and sorry for the pic quality.

It's Corvette and G8 specific. It is a diamond embedded anti rotation shim. Its got the seal on it to keep oil out of the mating surface.

GM seems to use this on the shallow profile balancer. Probably has a higher tendency to move than other styles.

It goes between the balancer and the timing set lower sprocket.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks! very helpful info