Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do they make these awesome switches for trans ams? Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do they make these awesome switches for trans ams? Pics inside.

Im trying to look for something like this :

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/fc39c321.jpg

Pic also attached if link doesnt work.

Who makes these and where can you get them from?
Attached Thumbnails Do they make these awesome switches for trans ams? Pics inside.-awesome.jpg  
Old 02-10-2004, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

I have no idea where to get them but that is the cleanest set up I have seen. I would like to know where to get that also.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

those are nice but the only place I know of that will have TA switch plates is here http://www.jimmy-jams.com/ashtrayplates.htm
Old 02-10-2004, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

That switch panel was custom made by a member over on LS1.com. Can't remember his name but he might be registered here as well.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto.

those are radio shack switches.

Ryan
Old 02-11-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NaughtyIROC
those are nice but the only place I know of that will have TA switch plates is here http://www.jimmy-jams.com/ashtrayplates.htm
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do appreciate it. Not that I want to start any **** but, Damn those are some old ugly buttons. Kinda reminds me of an ATARI joystick lol. NX kit offers these switches which are my 2nd alternative right now. Heres a link with some pics:

http://www.geocities.com/eluwakchap/switch/

These look way better than jimmy jams but it still doesnt blend in smoothly with the interior (in other words it does not look like it came stock - like a traction control button for instance). I know the jimmy jam switches would be hidden in the ashtray area but i wouldnt go for something with that unattractive colorful buttons. Even though the pic first posted would not be as hidden as jimmy jams. At least it just doesnt look BAD..

hope that made sense...

Im trying to hide these switches and trying to buy the cleanest and nicest switches possible.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry but I personally feel as though any of the NX style switches/radio shack stuff, is just not attractive/not smart looking......the colored (lighted) rocker switches are WAY WAY nicer......we can get any type of switch but for them to fit in that spot they have to be a certain size, also you want them to have different colors so you know what you have on or off (yes they light up) and plus most people want 4 rockers and a purge or at least 3 rockers and a purge so the setup is exactly what is needed. Oh and we also do substitute momentary (on/off/on- dpdt, dpst) black switches for lighted rockers for people that need those. I'm sorry but the ones you posted the pics of are cumbersome, plain and ugly but whatever- you hate mine, I hate yours, tomato, tomAto......let's just agree to disagree and please don't bash jimmy jam's ANYMORE.

....I have the below setup in my car and everyone that sees it LOVES it (no it's not an ashtray plate)
http://jimmy-jams.tripod.com/irocfullplaterockers1.jpg
Old 02-11-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

everybody has their own personal preference when it comes to switch types

I'm a little biased, just like the above poster, as i sell the nx style panels in that link.

your right, they aren't fully integrated, but are nice. looking switch

here is the nx style panel, with 2 more switches to make it 5 wide

http://ourworld.cs.com/O1PewterWS6/Console_3.JPG

attached is the panel i run in my car, with the TCS logo so it looks a little more OEM (attached as finalnx.jpg)

I like these switches over anything else i have used, as they use standard packard connectors, (as well as .25 female disconnects) so you can build a wiring harness, and have it easily removable, makes removing the console a lot easier, and minimizes the chances of connecting it back up wrong. (as seen in attached switchandplug.jpg)

Ryan.
Attached Thumbnails Do they make these awesome switches for trans ams? Pics inside.-nxfinal.jpg   Do they make these awesome switches for trans ams? Pics inside.-switchandplug.jpg  
Old 02-11-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch. Sorry. Didnt know you owned that shop. I apologize if I sounded like I was bashing jimmy jams. What I meant was it doesnt really fit my taste. But to each his own

Slow, smart idea. I like it. I did a little photoshoping and I was wondering if I could use switches like these that would have the same functionality as the NX switch kit (see attached). I just picked these traction control switches because they were easy to work with. Ofcourse they wont say traction control or anything on them. Ill have them say arm, B.heat, B open, purge...etc. They should look cool since it will look like it came from the factory.

Check out the pic. The only thing that im worried about is one of the NX switches has a dual function ARM on/off BOTTLE HEATER on/off. Its one of those switches were the top part has an on/off feature while the lower part of the button has a different on off feature. I wonder if it would work. It would look VERY neat if I could do this.

That not my car.. no mine doesnt have a carbon fiber either Just used the pic for photoshop purposes. You still get the point though.

Hope I can try make this work. Just thought about this idea a few minutes ago. It should look MUCH cleaner than an NX switch whis is the cleanest switch i've seen so far being that its visible and not under an ashtray location.
Attached Thumbnails Do they make these awesome switches for trans ams? Pics inside.-test1.jpg  

Last edited by 2002_TAWS6; 02-11-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

the cleanest look i know of, is to get the TCS/vert panel, with the TCS for purge, and the Vert switch for the bottle opener. Get 2 foglight switches, and use them for arm. and heat. if they will fit, i know one will fit between the 2 oem ones, not sure about 2.

no oem switch, will work for dual positions like you want, other than taking the very switch apart, and trying to modify it to work as constant, not momentary.

The pic you posted, looks good, with the carbon fiber, if you did not have the carbon fiber, you would see where they spliced the extra switch holder into the panel, as only 1 and 2 panels are available from GM.

here is a link with some fog light switches in that panel http://home.ptd.net/~chrispav/transam6lightsmods.html

Ryan.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do appreciate it. Not that I want to start any **** but, Damn those are some old ugly buttons. Kinda reminds me of an ATARI joystick lol. NX kit offers these switches which are my 2nd alternative right now. Heres a link with some pics:

http://www.geocities.com/eluwakchap/switch/

These look way better than jimmy jams but it still doesnt blend in smoothly with the interior (in other words it does not look like it came stock - like a traction control button for instance). I know the jimmy jam switches would be hidden in the ashtray area but i wouldnt go for something with that unattractive colorful buttons. Even though the pic first posted would not be as hidden as jimmy jams. At least it just doesnt look BAD..

hope that made sense...

Im trying to hide these switches and trying to buy the cleanest and nicest switches possible.
Yes, those are just what Im looking for, where can I get them?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
Im trying to look for something like this :

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/fc39c321.jpg

Pic also attached if link doesnt work.

Who makes these and where can you get them from?
What does each of these switches do?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Default Thumbs up to Jimmy-Jams !

Here's my setup I'm working on :

I went with the Jimmy-Jams setup since I already had a vert top switch and TCS switch. I mounted the bottle opener switch in between them and mounted the rest in the ashtray where they can be easily hidden. I like the look of the round lighted switches.

Will have it all complete in a week or two.

Rob (Bad30th)