General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil leak

im looking to buy a 98 TA and the owner says it has a small oil leak towards the rear of the motor...a buddy of mine thought it could be the rear main seal? just wanted to get some more input on this before i buy it, you guys think it could be something more major and that i should reconsider buying this car? thanks for any input
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is in fact engine oil and not trans fluid, then you are looking at one ore more of the following:

Oil pan gasket
Rear cover gasket
rear main seal
oil pressure sensor

Its fairly difficult to diagnose those top 3 because the block, oil pan, and rear cover all meet at the same junction. Trans has to be removed to change the rear cover gasket or rear main seal. Typically I will give it my best attempt to look between the block and the flywheel and see if you can see oil above the oil pan to block joint. (You can pull the starter to inspect this if its a manual transmission, autos have an inspection hole IIRC). If you can, its probably rear cover gasket or seal. If its below the oil pan to block seem, probably the oil pan gasket leaking.