Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One step forward, two steps back :( (pictures inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One step forward, two steps back :( (pictures inside)

Went to bolt down the headers on my ls-coupe last night to find that the rear-most header bolt would not thread, of course, a broken bolt in the head (at the very rear of the motor). Have no idea how I didn't notice I broke a bolt off when I was removing the manifolds back in July. I tried to get the bolt out with the head still on the motor, I leveled the face of the broken bolt (which was recessed into the head) then center punched it, tried some left handed drill bits (which are my FIL's) and it didn't barely make a dent in it other then breaking the 3/16th lefty bit.

Ended up giving up on the dream of getting it out with it in the engine bay, I pulled the head, drilled on it, tried an easy out and broke it off in the bolt (again, one of my FIL's tools). Used a Dremel and a carbide bit and was able to eat through enough of the easy-out that I ended up getting a larger easy-out into the hole, cranked down on it and to my complete surprise (I had made absolutely no headway at this point, other then breaking my FIL's tools, and my efforts were seeming increasingly frivolous), it started backing out.

So now I've got the broken bolt out, trying to consider what I should do at this point, thinking about pulling the other head while I'm at it (not much to it at this point).

Would you:
1- Pull the other head (seems like a no-brainer)
2- ARP head studs (or just bolts) since the stockers are TTY and will have to be replaced anyway.
3- Which headgaskets I should consider (eventually want to boost this engine).
4- I guess now would be the easiest time to do valve springs.
5- Any idea who sells a short left handed 3/16th drill bit?
6- Anyone got an AllData print out on head gasket replacement for 2005 Cadillac Escalade? (need torque sequence, specs, valve adjustment specs)

Gotta love cars, a $1 header bolt is going to end up being a $300 adventure

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM me your email address. I'll send you the electronic service man. instructions.
Not sure about the laws etc.. of me posting the instructions here as the source is from a paid service...
Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

head gasket replacement email sent.

drill bit.
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T4...N&hl=en&tab=wf

Springs straight forward especially with the heads off.
Also included directions on this procedure if you needed it.