Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metri-pack assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Metri-pack assembly question

I have made a few sets of metri-pack 150 connectors (I have the crimping and removing tools) and I was wondering if you guys put any dielectric silicone grease (or anything else) on the steel terminals.

For instance, when you push the male and female plug bodies together, the male and female steel terminals engage inside the plug bodies - do you put anything on the parts of the steel terminals that actually contact each other and complete the circuit?

I noticed the wire seals look like the seals have a little something on them, but none of the terminals I received had any lube, etc on them. I think the ones I am using are tin plated.

Thanks, -Dave
Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always put a little dielectric grease on the rubber seals. Putting some on the connectors themselves couldn't hurt. But I think (hope) that having the connectors sealed somewhat water tight means they won't corrode as fast as unprotected connectors.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've used dielectric grease on all electrical connections (pins or terminals) for years, also on the base of all bulbs, inside all spark plug boots and on battery cables. It keeps corrosion out and makes disassembly later much easier. I started about 20 years ago with a large tube about the size of toothpaste, now it's rolled up to about the last 1½".

Mike
Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

^^^
What Mike said....

Quick Reply: Metri-pack assembly question