Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Replacement HID ballast

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement HID ballast

Anyone know where to get a new one cheap? One of my ballast went out and i called the dealer and they want $508.00!! for one. I cant see paying that I know a few places have aftermarket sets for 160ish. I have new bulbs i just want one replacement ballast.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

ebay maybe
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im looking on there right now and they are all 150+ just for the ballast.
thats crazy how much they cost.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Maybe check the CTS-V classified section on CadillacForums.com?

I thought I saw a wrecked car that someone was parting out?

Try Cleveland Pick-A-Part. this is their e-bay CTS-V store link. Pages of parts - maybe they have one.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cleveland-Pic...5&_sc=1&_sop=1
Old 01-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Teching In

www.ddmtuning.com best price ive seen for hids
Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an aftermarket warranty do you think this would be something they would cover?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i ordered a replacement ballast
i hope this one works. i rushed the shipping so i could get it in before the body shop puts my car back together.( my friend hit a tire in the road) if not looks like i will spend another 2 hours pulling the bumper back off to get to the lights again.
here is a link to the ballast i got.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-Ballast-D1-35W

Anyone know what size the little bulbs in the headlights are? i want to change them out to leds while im in there.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 AM
Teching In

search on cadillac forums.. theres a thread over there where some dude put a generic ebay ballast in.. i did the same as the generic one is sealed vs the stock that water got in twice and ruined.. think i paid 90 off ebay
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Launching!

Search for D1S D1R Replacement Ballast for OEM HID Xenon Vehicles on Ebay. The company name is ez_motoring. about $69

There is a how to install on the other forum. Mine seems to works ok. Although after the heavy rains here in CA its stopped working for a day. I may not have sealed it properly.

A good Dremel tool is a plus for the install.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have seen some cheap ones on ebay..i wanted to purchase them cuz i wanted to go 6k. never did do it so i cant say if the quality is good or not........it is fleabay tho..lol
Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont trust ebay hids at all.
all of my friends go that route cause it saves the 5-10 bucks but i always use ddmtuning.com have ordered 7 or 8 kits and never had one problem.
but everyone who gets the free shipping ebay kits the end up buying 3 or 4 and spending more money. so i choose to do it right the first time.
spend a little extra now and save alot later.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Launching!

The one that came with the car was unsealed an only lasted 50K. Now my drivers side is flickering. I'm not going buy another unsealed one.

Not sure where you'd get another one. DDM doesn't make one for the D1S
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i finally got my new ballast driver side ( ddm tuning one) in the car. put it all back together and everything worked!!!
that was a few days ago. then tonight i noticed the driver side was off so i turned them off and on a few times to get it to come back on and then the passenger side went off.
checked all fuses and relays. then on my way home the driver side came back on.
so looks like now i need another ballast!
could it be the aftermarket 10k bulbs blowing these ballast out?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here is some pics of the install and after pics

Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Launching!

DDM is in San Diego about 5 miles from my house. When I went to the counter to buy a ballast for my V, they said they didn't make one. Maybe they just meant they didn't make one that you wouldn't have to splice in the old connector.

I would have much rather bought one of theirs vs the one I got. But whats done is done.

I also had the drivers side start to flicker after I replaced the passenger side. I just replace the drivers side this past weekend. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

This time I made a retainer to hold the connection that goes to the light securely. I also did a better job of sealing the new ballast into the light fixture. The new ballast is sealed but since it's attached to the old backing plate, I was concerned that water would get into the enclosure.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by branland
DDM is in San Diego about 5 miles from my house. When I went to the counter to buy a ballast for my V, they said they didn't make one. Maybe they just meant they didn't make one that you wouldn't have to splice in the old connector.

I would have much rather bought one of theirs vs the one I got. But whats done is done.

I also had the drivers side start to flicker after I replaced the passenger side. I just replace the drivers side this past weekend. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

This time I made a retainer to hold the connection that goes to the light securely. I also did a better job of sealing the new ballast into the light fixture. The new ballast is sealed but since it's attached to the old backing plate, I was concerned that water would get into the enclosure.
When i ordered mine i called and asked if they had one they said they had a kit and did not sell the ballast alone. so i kept looking because i only needed one. well then i went to there site and they sold them by themselves. so i ordered it.
my light housing is 100% sealed i got the new ballast to fit in the housing and i put the old ballast back so its all sealed up.
I went to the dealership today and my warranty will cover the lights. so im going to drop it off monday to have both ballast, motor mounts, tranny mounts, and alternator replaced under warranty.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Just installed my other ballast. The flickering and the intermittent problems went away. It's probably a good idea to do both of them at the same time.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Launching!

I wonder if the ballasts are like the headlight bulbs themselves. When one burns out go ahead and replace the other because it will most likely be going out soon too. One thing to remember when you install new ballast, from what I have read is to make sure it can get some air to help cool it down.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriGuy
I wonder if the ballasts are like the headlight bulbs themselves. When one burns out go ahead and replace the other because it will most likely be going out soon too. One thing to remember when you install new ballast, from what I have read is to make sure it can get some air to help cool it down.
Thats what i was thinking also.
i put mine in the housing with no air maybe the ddm ballast got to hot and just shut off? I guess when i install the other one i will move them out of the housing so they stay cool.

Quick Reply: Replacement HID ballast