Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX Valvetrain lubrication question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Default LSX Valvetrain lubrication question

Anyone here ever experience a Lifter bore issue when it comes to lubrication?

the story: car drove fine before I parked it, I let it sit for like an hour, got it started, it started making a screeching type noise.
figured it was cold an a belt/pulley/bearing was acting up. drove about 20 miles but it never went away.

took the belt of the following day, it still made the noise with the accessory belt off. which pointed me to valvetrain related again.

The history: I had my original lifter wear out at 50k and damage the cam.

I replaced the entire valvetrain, Cam, Lifters, pushrods, springs 30k miles ago.

I pulled the valley cover today to try get an eye in there, found this , but the sounds im hearing don't sounds like it coming from that.

Front Valley:

is this wear abnormal for bigger cams? I don't know what kind of lift span/wear I should get from it. It's a comp cam, my lift is about .600 run PRC Golds dual valve springs. the lifters are the GM Cadillac racing lifters.

Rear Valley

What it Sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvpT-PzgOAw

Now the kicker, It gets quieter with higher RPMs, my oil pressure isn't abnormal. it's in the 35-41psi range at idle/cruising. Also if I make a hard pull it shuts up and the noise goes away, but eventually comes back after a couple miles. Not sure if it goes away from the higher oil pressure from the pull, or something just seats better. what gives :shrug:
Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be wrong, but that does not look like normal wear on that cam. What oil are you running?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm ive had this happen on a v6 irrigation engine, only i had all of the lifters looking like that, some lifters had the roller ground flat in one position and the needles were falling out of the bearing. Im pretty sure its a lubrication problem. but on the engine all the valve seats were wore out and the valves were sunk in, you may want to check your heads. i wonder if a sunk valve could be pushing backwards on the valvetrain.

Last edited by FB72; 01-26-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Mobil 1 since I owned it. 30k-85k, regular oil changes. It just doesn't sounds like what a bad lifter will make, that should be more of a tap. someone enlighten me
Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you may have worn valve springs. I've seen cam wear like that from excessive valve float.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the exact same problem with the lifters om my V when the stock engine had about 18K on it. After the screeching started I had a hard time getting it started & a code for the cam position sensor. turned out that the cam gear bolts backed out & caused all of the problems. had to do cam & lifters.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Launching!

interesting, thanks for the input.