Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car has absolutely no electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car has absolutely no electrical power

My car has no power at all. I had done the battery swap to the rear. Used my original battery. It has side posts. I guess while driving the positive got too close to the chasis and it spark and shorted something out. I will get a new battery with top terminals but what else should i look at. We tried jumping it off and still no power. Fuses? Please help. Going to try and work on it first thing in the morning!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ouch, well hopefully you didnt short anything to the PCM, but thats what you have fuses for. Check your ignition fuse, engine/PCM fuse. But i would go through all your fuses with a test light, because more than likely you popped a couple of fuses. Hopefully thats all that happend, and good first place to start. I always use rubber/plastic covers or electrical tape on any power source that is remotely close to anything metal
Old 01-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check all fuses under the hood and on the driver's side of the dash.
Trace the power wires to look for melting.

Also, secure the battery more tightly to the chassis so it can't move and put it in a plastic box to to further isolate it from the body of the car. There are kits you can buy, but you could also make your own.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I figured it out that it was the inline fuse. I have changed to smaller post where it isn't as close to the chasis. It still drags when starting it causing me to put my foot on the gas a little bit to get it going. Do I need to run a whole other power line with inline fuse from battery positive to starter positive or can I get away with running a T distribution block in the engine bay and then one off to the auxiliary and the other off to the starter positive?

Quick Reply: Car has absolutely no electrical power