Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIM - what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIM - what is it?

I'm going thru the wiring on my 04 GTO donor and I can't figure out what the powertrain interface module is. I know where the plug is, and know where the wires go, but dont remember removing anything from the plug when I parted the car and don't have anything left over that would fit in there - like a module.

I figured that it was a data port, but going thru the wiring diagram from alldata, it looks like the ground for the starter circuit goes thru it, so it's not just an empty plug.

does the PCM need an input from the start circuit, or can I wire the starter solenoid to the original car's (volvo) start relay?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

anybody?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Traction control. If you aren't going to use it you don't need it.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've rebuilt a couple 05 and 06 salvage cars but have not messed with the dash of an 04 so I don't know that they are identical. The PIM is a small black box located to the left of the column just above the fuse box. It is roughly 3" wide x 3 1/2" long x 1" thick with a single connector that is about 1" long x 1/2" tall.

The Powertrain Interface Module is a translator between the BCM and PCM as the two modules "speak" in different binary languages. All communication between the BCM and PCM must be deciphered by the PIM. This is definitely the way the 05/06 models work as I had to reprogram the antitheft on these and had to research alot about them. The 04 I'm not so sure of but would assume it's a similar system being that the key design is the same.

The car will not crank or turn on the fuel pump without the PIM because the PCM cannot receive the antitheft signal from the BCM. <---- thats a bunch of three letter mumbo jumbo hahaha
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I've read this thread and your other thread on wiring up your starter, so this is what I would do. Find the purple wire on the starter solenoid (should be purple, they usually are but I don't have a GTO schematic to know for sure), run that to your ignition switch. When ever you turn the ignition switch to "start" 12v will be sent straight to the starter. With that said, you might be able to use your original start relay in the Volvo, just find the wire that that has 12v coming out of it when the ignition switch is turned to the "start" position, and hook the purple wire to that. You don't need anything going to the PCM, BCM, or PIM if you're having the VATS programmed out, which I assume you are since you're putting it in a Volvo.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

PIM = penalties in minutes, hockey thing, sorry I couldn't resist.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I've read this thread and your other thread on wiring up your starter, so this is what I would do. Find the purple wire on the starter solenoid (should be purple, they usually are but I don't have a GTO schematic to know for sure), run that to your ignition switch. When ever you turn the ignition switch to "start" 12v will be sent straight to the starter. With that said, you might be able to use your original start relay in the Volvo, just find the wire that that has 12v coming out of it when the ignition switch is turned to the "start" position, and hook the purple wire to that. You don't need anything going to the PCM, BCM, or PIM if you're having the VATS programmed out, which I assume you are since you're putting it in a Volvo.
I appreciate everyone's help and comments.

I did exactly what you suggested using the Volvo start solenoid, just didn't know if the PCM needed to know that I was not running, but in a start mode. I guess I'm over engineering things....

I'll leave it as is, and keep going on the rest of the wiring.
If my fuel fittings get in today, like they're supposed to, I might get to try to fire it this weekend

Quick Reply: PIM - what is it?