Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans am w stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans am w stall

My buddy is thinking about trading his bike for this trans am. The guy says it has a 3k stall. I drove the car and I couldn't even get it to stall up to 2200 before the front wheels started forcing forward. I have never driven a car with a stall so does that mean it doesn't have a stall at all or does it just have a crappy stall?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Foot on the brake, & start to push the acccelerater & see when the tires really wanna start to spin.
It's not necessarily a true/good way to do it, but it'll give you a close idea of what is there.
If he claims it's a 3000rpm stall, it shouldn't start to spin the tires at 2200 unless there's no traction.
A 3000rpm stall will still make the car move at lower rpm too tho.
It doesn't necessarily mean the car won't move until 3000rpm at all.

Not sure what yo mean by "before the front wheels started forcing forward" either tho. Do you mean they started rolling?
Were you foot-brakin' it?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I was foot breaking it. The tires never started spinning cause i let go after the car started going. I didnt think it had a stall but I just wanted to be sure. I know it will still roll a lil with a stall but not like that.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

no more info?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Foot braking to test a stall has so many factors leading it to be inadequate. For one if the front brakes are weak. The back tires play a big role also. A 3k may not be able to get to 3k unless there is a drag radial or a slick on the car. True stall and foot brake stall are usually two different things. Pavement surface can play a factor bc it changes traction. I would get it to hook from a low roll and try to flash the converter and get it to show its true colors. You would be looking for the rpm that the converter really bites. You can do this from a dead stop if there is enough traction.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Foot braking to test a stall has so many factors leading it to be inadequate. For one if the front brakes are weak. The back tires play a big role also. A 3k may not be able to get to 3k unless there is a drag radial or a slick on the car. True stall and foot brake stall are usually two different things. Pavement surface can play a factor bc it changes traction. I would get it to hook from a low roll and try to flash the converter and get it to show its true colors. You would be looking for the rpm that the converter really bites. You can do this from a dead stop if there is enough traction.
I agree. You can also tell if it has a stall by when you are coasting down the road with your foot off the gas and give it gas watch the rpms.
Also a 3k stall will never rev to 3k it usuall will go 2400 to 2700. Take for instance I had a 3500 stall and with nitrous I could only push it to 3200