Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want old school look w/LS motor--how do I get this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Want old school look w/LS motor--how do I get this?

I'd like to have the old school look in my cutlass and be able to use my ram air air cleaner with the LS motor. I know that GMPP has a new dual plane for LS motors with injector bungs already cast. The picture here from online uses the truck throttle body and I understand that MAST has something that does this, but haven't been able to get their take on this (they cryptically answered an email, and I know they're pretty busy w/growth).

I'd like to add this intake setup on top of an LY6 or L92 with a cam. Anybody know anyone that has done something like this or have a link?

Appreciate any thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails Want old school look w/LS motor--how do I get this?-fullmastintake.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use an Edelbrock Victor Jr intake and a 4150 throttle body.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Use an Edelbrock Victor Jr intake and a 4150 throttle body.
Then route the injector wires under the plenum and mount the coils under the side of the block for a cleaner look.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was concerned about great driveability, that's why I wanted to go with the new dual plane GMPP has. Suspect I could still hide wires per the post. Interested in someone that has done this however. Allegedly the pic I originally posted just used the truck throttlebody; obviously that is a pretty nice aspect if I get an LY6 or L92.

Anybody know anyone that has done something like this?
Attached Thumbnails Want old school look w/LS motor--how do I get this?-m15184612.gif  
Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
I was concerned about great driveability, that's why I wanted to go with the new dual plane GMPP has. Suspect I could still hide wires per the post. Interested in someone that has done this however. Allegedly the pic I originally posted just used the truck throttlebody; obviously that is a pretty nice aspect if I get an LY6 or L92.

The first pic is not a truck throttle body unless there is some sort of holly carb to throttle body adapter in the middle (unlikely due to height). The flange pattern in both pictures is standard holly square bore carb.

Single plane / dual plane don't really matter with a throttle body like they do for a carb. With a carb it was all about fuel delivery and air velocity - namely keeping the fuel from puddling while making the route to the cylinders and trying to keep all cylinders balanced. Fuel injection eliminates those problems by spraying fuel at the back of each intake valve. The benefit is the throttle body can be anywhere as long as the air and fuel are delivered in the proper quantity and time to the proper location. Since the injectors only fire when necessary, little fuel is wasted.

The next evolutionary step is direct injection but LSx engines aren't doing that in factory form - yet.

The only way to use a truck or car throttle body with a carb intake is one of those intake elbow things which kills the look you are going for.

This is one version of what LS1MCSS was talking about.

HTH
Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

A single plane on an LS motor will give you great driveability. These LS motors are a different animal than the first gens.

What you are asking has been done. From what I have read (and never personally done) is the elbows to allow the stock throttlebody and more importantly MAF will cost power. The better solution is some sort of carb like throttle body and a speed density tune to eliminate the MAF. Will probably start an argument about the elbows but that is what I have read.

You might try a search. I remember a vendor on here had a beautiful EFI-throttle body set up.

Going carb is another option. There is good support for carb'd LS motors these days.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Most run an aftermarket 4 hole TB and an SD tune without MAF.
I do recall someone using an LS TB directly on a carb style manifold. Not sure how well it worked.
I also saw a pic before of the Mast setup. I thought it looked like they used the truck TB motor/TPS on one of their TB. Do you have a link to pics/info on it? I've never seen it on their site.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by garys 68
Most run an aftermarket 4 hole TB and an SD tune without MAF.
I do recall someone using an LS TB directly on a carb style manifold. Not sure how well it worked.
I also saw a pic before of the Mast setup. I thought it looked like they used the truck TB motor/TPS on one of their TB. Do you have a link to pics/info on it? I've never seen it on their site.
The pictures you are referring to are in a thread titled *6.0l VVT LY6 conversion to carb* I'm sorry... I don't know how to do the link thing. Maybe someone else can?? Ron
Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

That's it. Is that a stock 07+ TB on an adapter plate?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...sion-carb.html
Originally Posted by rojs234
The pictures you are referring to are in a thread titled *6.0l VVT LY6 conversion to carb* I'm sorry... I don't know how to do the link thing. Maybe someone else can?? Ron
Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rojs234
Yeah, that is the vender pic I was thinking of.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do a google search on the Holley shop truck
http://www.holley.com/ProjectCars/CarParts.asp?Part=7
Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garys 68
That's it. Is that a stock 07+ TB on an adapter plate?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...sion-carb.html
Thx. This is exactly what I'd like. I need to find out if I could use this with a GM ecu and wiring harness & DBW, or whether I have to buy Masts setup.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's this for old school looking? It's an LS7

This will work especially well if the swap is a Ford.

Here's a for sale link (no relation to me). LS7 Notch for sale

Name:  freshpaint009.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  107.3 KB
Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just hide the coils on the lower inner fenders or against the block and your all set! This one is a twin turbo too!!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldhawg

You will not have the typical drivability problems using a properly tuned computer controlled fuel injection system on a single plane like you would if you were carbureted. However, the dual plane intakes longer runners will improve your low speed torque dramatically with little high RPM trade off up to 6500+ RPM. I would say that the dual plane would be a better choice unless your are running a 3500 RPM or higher stall converter.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
Just hide the coils on the lower inner fenders or against the block and your all set! This one is a twin turbo too!!

That is super sneaky and slick. I see the black pipe coming up from that back into the air cleaner. Do you have any more pics or info on this car? I would love to see where they hid the turbos.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marcello7x

I find it very hard to believe this is an LSx engine in disguise, the only similarities is the coils on the valve covers. I see too many clues it's a big block Chevy, the water pump, the location of the thermostat housing/upper radiator hose/water temp sending unit, the head bolts in relation to the valve covers and the location of the valve cover bolts. I'm not buying this is an LS type engine.

Mike
Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Mike52
I find it very hard to believe this is an LSx engine in disguise, the only similarities is the coils on the valve covers. I see too many clues it's a big block Chevy, the water pump, the location of the thermostat housing/upper radiator hose/water temp sending unit, the head bolts in relation to the valve covers and the location of the valve cover bolts. I'm not buying this is an LS type engine.

Mike
I don't think he claimed it was an LSX engine did he?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike52

Mike

Your right it is a bbc. But its definitely sneaky.
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...fications.html

Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Do you have any more pics or info on this car? I would love to see where they hid the turbos.
Speedtigger, after a little more digging I found this, here are your pics and story of this big block Tempest.

BTW, the twin turbos are mounted under the floorpan, in front of the rear axle.

Mike

Quick Reply: Want old school look w/LS motor--how do I get this?