Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detailing Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Detailing Questions..

I normally use Scratch X and NXT wzx with great results on my Trans Am. I just washed and claybared the car and my dad told me he just bought a buffer. Its a 10 inch orbital buffer. Would this work well with the 2 products I use or am I better off doing it by hand? If so is there a specific pad I should use with these products? Thanks in advance, I have no prior experience with a buffer..
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its the kindof buffer that i'm thinking of, then its only good for spreading wax and not fixing swirls and scratches. The polisher that you would need to de-swirl a car would be a Porter Cable 7424 or some other dual action. But that buffer should be able to spread your wax pretty decently i think. I just wouldnt try to use the Scratch X with it
Old 02-05-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

^ The PC buffer is DA?? I always thought it was just circular. My father has an old school B&D buffer in the basement. The metal one. Gotta get some pads for it and buff my car this summer. I've heard people swear by the older ones because it's just the right amount of pressure with just the weight of the machine on it.

And OP, sorry I'm no help. I use the exact same stuff too. Picked up a cheap-o buffer from Lowes a while ago. Works fine for taking the wax off. Just recently started spreading with it. (last year or two)
Old 02-05-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Both of those are designed to be used by hand, but I've used scratchx with a machine and had decent results. The nxt can be used either way, but anytime I've done anything by hand I have a bad habit of putting it on too thick and then it's a pain to remove. NXT by machine will wipe off with one swipe and no pressure if it's applied correctly.

I've got a pc, had it since sometime in 05, and is by far the best money I've ever spent. It is a DA, but will do most of what a rotary will do with the exception of the deep stuff. I had a big orbital like you're talking about and it'll save your forearms but doesn't have enough power to remove scratches. Another huge deal is that you can't swap pads if it takes bonnets. I've also got a cheap harbor freight rotary. The rotaries are dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use them. It's really easy to burn the paint on edges. I've had the rotary 4 years and it still scares me. I reach for the PC 99% of the time. I detail on the side and it has paid for itself many times over.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Wow.. I'll have to be careful then.. I may or may not use the old rotary one. Prolly have a hard time finding pads and stuff for it.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Alright thanks. Ill keep using the Scratch X by hand but Ill get a rest using the buffer for the wax.

Quick Reply: Detailing Questions..