Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam bearing question??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam bearing question??

I am doing a LQ9 swap and I am installing a Custom EPS cam. The motor is out of an 03 escaldae and had 70K miles on it....

When I pulled the cam there is copper showing on the cam bearings...However I have read on here that this is VERY common and they guys with Brand new motors and motor with less than 10k miles are seeing the same thing...

I have also heard that they Line Hone the cam bearings from the factory (another reason for the copper) and if you change them you risk spinning them...

So what is the verdict? Do I let it ride and is it normal on these motors or do I change them and if I do do I risk spinning them?

Also I have heard that after 00 the rod bolts were much better...I am going to spinning the motor to 6800 at the absolute highest should I go Katech or leave them alone?

Thanks
Matt
Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whip out your mic set and measure the OD of the new cam and the ID of your old bearings...
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, that interesting ! which bearings are showing copper and in which spots? im putting together a 50k 2000 ls1 short block and i saw where the rearmost bearing on mine was showing that and only at the bottom,i was already getting prepared to buy all new bearings cause i thought that was bad news when a bearing is worn like that
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by crainholio
Whip out your mic set and measure the OD of the new cam and the ID of your old bearings...
what is the allowed tolerance? I don't have the new cam yet however there is less than .005 clearance from the stock cam...

Originally Posted by southsidecox
wow, that interesting ! which bearings are showing copper and in which spots? im putting together a 50k 2000 ls1 short block and i saw where the rearmost bearing on mine was showing that and only at the bottom,i was already getting prepared to buy all new bearings cause i thought that was bad news when a bearing is worn like that
Well I freaked out too and then once I did ALOT of reading it is very very common from what I have seen....all of mine are worn evenly and at the bottoms...no rough spots and no scarring.....the old cam turned extremely smooth too...

Like I said I seen where a couple sponsors had posted in old threads that they seen the same copper color on brand new crate motors....
Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club

anybody have any more input on this

Quick Reply: Cam bearing question??