Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solution to hesitation and p0137 +p0157 codes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution to hesitation and p0137 +p0157 codes.

Hey All! I'm brand neew to the forum and I used this forum to solve my specific issue and I figured I would give back by posting the problem and the fix!

Car: 1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.7 LS-1 6spd. 82k miles. prior service history unknown (Just bought car).

Symptoms: Funky hesitation at mid range throttle, normal idle, normal low throttle accelleration and WOT (Wide open throttle) (Although it felt like it was lacking). Codes P0137 and p0157 which according to the manual are post cat oxygen sensors sending low voltage signals. Sulphuric type smell from exhaust, semi-poopy gas mileage and occassional backfire.

Diagnostics prior to consulting forum: Replaced spark plugs and wires (Bad condition) and examined ignition coils = No change, Compression = WNL (Within normal limits), Fuel pressure = WNL, planned on changing fuel filter and finally examined air filter.

Suspected Mass Air Flow sensor messing with AFR but didn't know how to test it so I scanned forums! One memeber mentioned casually about cleaning his MAF and the same codes I had thrown when attempting to answer another posters question about a hesitation.

Solution: Removed MAF, saw massive build up of carbon-like material all over elements on MAF. Cleaned with $10 can of MAF cleaner from Advance Auto parts and VIOLA! Car runs like it has 30 more HP!!!!! Runs smoother, accellerates like a raped ape, and no more smell or misfires! Codes cleared and now non existent! I hope this helps others with a similar issue!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

thanks for sharing that.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info but i can tell you the sulfer smell out the exhaust means only ONE thing! Crappy cheap *** fuel, buy someplace else. the high sulfur content will ruin your fuel sender in the tank and screw other things up.

The state i live in thinking about inspecting gas deliveries because of this.

Every time we put fuel in at a certain Shell station we smelled sulfur out the exhaust. Stopped buying it there and no more sulfur smell BUT it ruined the fuel gauge.

Last edited by O2Form; 02-07-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Hmmm sulfer smell? Bad Fuel, Maybe......My own farts, DEFINITLY. No, in all seriousness I'll try another gas station that recieves fuel from another company. But honestly, I don't notice the lovely aroma anymore after I fixed the issue. Thanks though!

Quick Reply: Solution to hesitation and p0137 +p0157 codes.