Damaged goods in shipping question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged goods in shipping question...

Didn't really know where to put this, but I'm in TX!
I ordered a FAST 92 intake/TB from a member on this forum.
He sent me some pics by phone and everything looked good.
After a couple of weeks, I recieved it from UPS, and the throttle body was damaged.
I know from the pics that it wasn't before. However, when I talked to the guy, he told me to call UPS. I did, and they said he needs to make the claim, but that he only had the value as $100 and they will not refund more than that.
But, the big issue is that it was poorly packaged for shipping. It was bolted onto the intake and just set down in a big box. It fit in at an angle to where the damaged part of the TB touched and the rear corner of the intake touched. No foam, bubble wrap, no anything to keep it safe. Just some more cardboard over the top.

Where do I go from here? I paid a good chunk of change for it, and it is damaged! Pretty sure it was during shipping, but thats not my fault.

What would you guys do in this position?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

wow, that really sucks since he valued it for a 100! its a wast of time to mess with ups. i think the guy you got it from should pay you some cash. since we went cheap to ship it and not want to spen 10 more dollars and put the value what its really worth. also because he was to lazy to box it up right! i think your going to be **** out of luck!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, thats the way it seems. That sucks big time. I know he will not want to refund anything.
I thought about talking with Paypal to see what they have to say.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it was only insured for a $100, that's the most that UPS will pay. They are very good about paying claims but are limited to the amount of coverage on the package. The package is insured for the first $100 at no cost. The seller should have insured it for the replacement cost. It is not that much. Your only hope is with the seller. There are some forms to fill out, but they are very easy to do. You have to make the claim with the shipping info provided by the seller. I have shipped alot of packages over the years and have only had a couple claims with UPS. The claims were paid fast with no problems. Good Luck
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

seller should of unbolted the tb from the intake when shipping it. but he should of also bought more insurance. did you pay with paypal? maybe file a claim?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

I would definitely say its the shippers fault that he did not get insurance and packed it poorly I would file a claim and make a thread for him to make it right. The only way it could go in favor with him is if you told him when he shipped it NOT to get insurance.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I used paypal, pay by credit card just to be on the safe side.
The seller told me to keep him informed. Whatever that means.
I'm gonna check with a few local shops to see if it can be repaired. It's a nice little dent. I don't want to try to straighten it out myself because the aluminum might crack.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club

Paypal is useless in your case. All he has to do is prove he shipped it, and the will find in favor of him. Ask how I know...
Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Paypal is useless in your case. All he has to do is prove he shipped it, and the will find in favor of him. Ask how I know...
That's the way it works Asking to keep him informed is great, but that still only gets you $100 tops with UPS.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he used a CC all he has to do is do a chargeback with paypal and they will take it back from the seller. I say hang the seller out to dry here in public!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Launching!

I think it depends......did he ask if you wanted to insure the package? Did you mention that he should insure the package? I've had my share of fucked up packages, both shipped by and to me. I'm not a ***** though and refunded the money when the gears I shipped to a buyer got damaged.

Now when I buy things that are fragile or expensive I make sure the seller ,whether is me or someone else, insures the package for what it cost. I also ship it UPS with signature required. That way if anything happens no one involved will get screwed.

That being said if you didnt request insurance and he did a shitty packing job i think its both of your fault. But he 100% should give you a full refund. If he skimped on shipping its his fault it was damaged. Everyone knows shipping companies throw, kick, drop, stack, and slide packages around.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Maybe this guy delivered your package to you?

Sound was disabled by YT sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V64r3q4FuA
Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Well, in all honesty, it really is the shippers responsibility to make sure it is packaged up good. And in the event the package is completely lost in the mail, he should have insured it. I didn't ask if he knew how to package it or if he was going to insure it. Being that it was nearly a grand, you would think the shipper would be more worried about the pack making it to me safely.
I could do a charge back on the credit card, but the bad thing is that the TB is what is damaged, not the entire intake and all.
i think I need to talk to the shipper to see if he is willing to cover anything on getting it repaired...if that is possible. If he basically gives me the bird, I might do a charge back.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

File a charge back. or ask him to pay it... I know when I ship I always make the seller pay for the extra insurance. I just tack it to the shipping, and it's all good. A TB is only what 150? I picked up an LS7 for 100. get the seller to split the cost, and make your claim....
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Just had the same thing happen here. I bought a D1 procharger and had it shipped through USPS, insured for 1500.00 by the seller. Once I got the package it was hammered **** and the unit had some harsh dings and scratches in it.. It was obvious from the pictures he sent me before I bought it, compared to how it looked when I got it, that most of the damage was done in route. The seller, who has been great through this had offered to buy it back, or send me some $$ to get it polished out.

I had it polished out this week although he said he could not get everything out. It cost me an extra 227.00, but it is better than what it was and the seller is paying for it.. I am anxious to get it back tomorrow or Sat so I can see how it turned out.

Seller does have a claim into USPS which was done about 3-4 weeks ago and has heard nothing back. Worst part is that it probably has devalued the blower but I have no plans of selling it anytime soon and I need it now.

Good luck, hope it all works out.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Default Ups = the suck

UPS is cheaper for a reason. Fed-Ex gets it done.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shippers fault, porly packaged, and he underinsured the box. What people don't realize, simply claiming 100 bucks as the value does not effect the shipping price. When people are being cheap they always do this. UPS asks you the value for reasons such as this. The only time it effects the shipping price is when you get upwards of 10K.

Word to the wise if parts are not securly packaged, then they are more than likely going to break. Specifically a part that has some weight to it. I've heard horror stories of guys that recieved cam's shipped that were just set in a box with nothing to keep them secure.