LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

intakes???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default intakes???

I know of the gmpp dual plane intake swap for the lt1 but I want to swap a single plan onto mine. There was someone, I forget who, that instead of welding up the bolt holes and having them redrilled had shims made to aling the bolt to the head. Can anyone shead some light on this? Also what about the water passage in the sbc intakes? Anything need to be done to these as well.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent taken pics with the new holes yet, but the machine shop I took mine too was only able to get the end 4 holes of each side. The middle 4 we left alone. They say with the new style vortec heads that you dont need them any how. Still working on mine though. Your better off having the old ones tigged closed if ya can, shouldnt be to much. I had my holes redrilled and he put a small bevel in so I dont need the spacers like other people have done. You might be able to get away with JB weld, that was suggested to me so I thought I might try it see how it holds. If you have acess to some kind of milling machine, I would use it after cutting off the thermostat base. Most people I have seen mount a plate over the hole. I just used a grinder and had at it, be sure ya got some glasses and plenty of light. That stuff goes everywhere from first hand experience.

http://www.holley.com/90748.asp

Kinda expensive, but they are ready to go if ya want the easy way f addapting and all ya have to do is kinda elongate your holes a bit then. Some other ideas I found anyhow.
Attached Thumbnails intakes???-2010-06-28-23.21.49.jpg   intakes???-img_20100905_170146.jpg   intakes???-img_20100916_185952.jpg   intakes???-img_20100919_173907.jpg   intakes???-img_20100919_173846.jpg  

intakes???-img_20100919_173859.jpg   intakes???-img_20100916_190008.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Transamthunder
I havent taken pics with the new holes yet, but the machine shop I took mine too was only able to get the end 4 holes of each side. The middle 4 we left alone. They say with the new style vortec heads that you dont need them any how. Still working on mine though. Your better off having the old ones tigged closed if ya can, shouldnt be to much. I had my holes redrilled and he put a small bevel in so I dont need the spacers like other people have done. You might be able to get away with JB weld, that was suggested to me so I thought I might try it see how it holds. If you have acess to some kind of milling machine, I would use it after cutting off the thermostat base. Most people I have seen mount a plate over the hole. I just used a grinder and had at it, be sure ya got some glasses and plenty of light. That stuff goes everywhere from first hand experience.

http://www.holley.com/90748.asp

Kinda expensive, but they are ready to go if ya want the easy way f addapting and all ya have to do is kinda elongate your holes a bit then. Some other ideas I found anyhow.
That may be the shitiest looking LT1 motor I've every seen no offense, loL! Yes you can pick up the spacers for the conversion though!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

so these from weiland will work on the lt1 heads with any intake??? Has anyone used these with sucess??

they are kinda exspensive but i already have a spare intake so i can afford to buy these if these work

oh my motor is way dirtier than that.
thanks so much guys
Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Big bird55
I know of the gmpp dual plane intake swap for the lt1 but I want to swap a single plan onto mine. There was someone, I forget who, that instead of welding up the bolt holes and having them redrilled had shims made to aling the bolt to the head. Can anyone shead some light on this? Also what about the water passage in the sbc intakes? Anything need to be done to these as well.
i think you may have seen it on mine on one of my posts.........i redrilled the intake and then made angled spacers to correct the bolt geometry.......i actually just redrilled my heads for the two middle bolts so i could get them in now......heres a pic of it....

you can kinda see one of the spacers i made here.....

you can kinda see here where i redrilled it and the bolt is in the middle holding it on.......

heres all the holes redrilled before i got a chance to weld em up...

Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

that it thats the one thanks

how much of your cowl did you have to cut to fit your distributor?? do you happen to have any pics ?

on a side not will these shims in the link work on the lt1 head? with any single plain intake
Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

quick95lt1 how much of your cowl panel did you have to cut to get your distributor to clear.

also will these shims in the link above work on lt1 heads and any other intake?