Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Which Subs?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Which Subs?!

I currently have a Rockford 700X amp(four channel).
I would like to have two 12"'s.
Can you guys help me to pick a pair of subs that would work well with this amp and not be more than $150 ea. ? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you plan on bridging the two rear channels for the subs and then using the fronts the power other speakers? Or what? With just the rears you have 350W to work with. I recommend dual 4 ohm Elemental Designs K-series. www.edesignaudio.com Thought about a box yet?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Launching!

jl audio,punch he2,are both pretty good woofers just depends on what u want to spend.I would look on ebay first for any stereo parts as they usally go for half of retail.you might want to consider buying a 2 channel amp for your woofers and using the 4 channel to drive ypur mids and highs.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:05 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

There is a lot too know about stereo equipment. I highly suggest visiting www.fbodyaudio.com , they have a great group of guys over there. With that said, I say ditch the 2 12"s idea. With a single 12" Brahma (adire audio), you will out power both those subs, and it will sound 1000x better. It won't run you much more in price, may even come out to be about the same. With a properly sealed box, and around 400-500 watts RMS, you could do some SERIOUS damage.

As I said, ditch the two POS subs, and have an above average, properly setup system. I don't know the specifics on that RF amp, but it's not new is it... I'm guessing it's 700 watts bridged @2 ohms. That will work fine, as long as your running just the one Brahma off it. Do yourself a favor and go to www.adireaudio.com as well. Check out their stuff, it's top quality IMO. Their 12" Brahma is considered to be in the same class as the JL Audio W7. It will hit just as hard, and is cheaper, can't be beat!

2 12"s may be cool looking, but a a single 12" that rattles the entire line of traffic around you at a stop light is far cooler

Good luck brotha,

Rob
Old 02-14-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

My amp has the following power ratings:

87.5 x 4 RMS 4 OHMS
175 x 4 RMS 2 OHMS

I only plan on using this amp to power my subs only....the person I bought the car from had two 12's in it and it sounded awesome!!, no other amps or speakers insatlled except factory monsoon. I listen to all types of music and am not too concerned about getting the lowest possible sounds from these so I think that a sealed box would more than likely do the job? I am not too familiar with stereo stuff but just wanted to utilize this amp that I already have and not blow all the cash on a stereo. Thanks guys!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:22 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Can't say I didn't try...
Old 02-17-2004, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

ov ran pretty much every major name brand sub at one time or another. The key to good 12's is simple. Stick to the major brands ie..JL, Rockford, Kicker, MTX, Infinity...
and choose either middle or top of the line. One of the best bang for buck 12's out right now is the MTX 8000 series 12, but im kinda partial to RF. But you can find the 8000 series MTX for about the same price as an HE2, but its equal in quality to a HX2.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

I can sell you 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1's. They will probably sound pretty good if you bridge your amp. $250 plus shipping for the two.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
ov ran pretty much every major name brand sub at one time or another. The key to good 12's is simple. Stick to the major brands ie..JL, Rockford, Kicker, MTX, Infinity...
and choose either middle or top of the line. One of the best bang for buck 12's out right now is the MTX 8000 series 12, but im kinda partial to RF. But you can find the 8000 series MTX for about the same price as an HE2, but its equal in quality to a HX2.

That is some pretty bad advice, mainstream is not the only way to go.

There are so many other non-mainstream brands that will kill any of those.

eD, Brahma, Tempest, Tumult, Dayton MKII, and more are all brands that usually cost less or are equal to mainstream companies.

Last edited by unredeemed; 03-02-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by unredeemed
That is some pretty bad advice, mainstream is not the only way to go.

There are so many other non-mainstream brands that will kill any of those.

eD, Brahma, Tempest, Tumult, Dayton MKII, and more are all brands that usually cost less or are equal to mainstream companies.
the reason i gave that advice, is because not everyone knows as much about car stereo as you and I, It is easy to be missled. If you are not familiar with WICH non-main stream companies are quality, then you are going to get screewed by a low budget stereo salesman trying to make a buck. Also, mainstream systems usualy have great warenties. So, i would tell someone in my family the same thing if they werent knowledgable about the industry. I am very well aware of the quality of SOME of the small companies, but they are som out numbered by the shitty ones. Thats all. So i guess i was just trying to point him down the "safe" route. Didnt not mean to **** anyone off.