Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Noise from Brakes/wheel area

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from Brakes/wheel area

Hey guys,

So, it has been cold and snowy here in Illinois lately. Lots of salt and junk. About one week ago, my passenger front (i think) has a pronounced noise coming from it. It is more of a low pitches squeal or rubbing noise. It only makes the noise about 70% of my car trips.

When it does, changes speed with the speed of the wheel, getting faster as i go faster. However, it does not change at all with the direction of the wheel being turned, which made me think it was not a wheel-bearing issue.

What is a list of things to check? I already cleaned the car and put a power-washer up to the brake rotor/pad area, thinking it was salt stuck in the pad. However this did not help the issue. I was thinking of maybe taking apart the brakes tomorrow and seeing if anything is visually apparently wrong with the brakes.

Anyone have a list of things to check?

Thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's the wear sensor...Have you looked at how much pad(s) you have left? They should wear about the same, but for the heck of it, check both pads on the rotor (left and right of caliper, so to speak)

If something got stuck in between, I imagine it would start showing some witness (wear) markings on the rotor, fwiw...But, doesn't hurt to check by taking off the pads (if there's still enough meat) anyhow. Cold weather does weird things to these cars, it seems.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took apart that wheel, and cleaned the surface on the pads, but nothing really there. Put it back together, and it didn't help.

This noise won't start until ive been driving for about 5 miles. Then it starts a rotating squeal/rubbing sound that goes with the speed of the car, not engine.

At first i thought it was the front passenger, then my dad and i went for a ride, and in the passenger seat he thinks it is from the driver side. Now we thinking maybe its something in the rear drive train. However, tbh, we are having trouble pin-pointing where the sound is.

One of my buddies said maybe drive shaft bearing? Or rear wheel bearing.

Any other ideas besides me ripping apart the rear brakes and checking them too? Or maybe jack up the rear end and rotating the tires to see if we can hear anything.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Noise from Brakes/wheel area