Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

electrical issue....help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default electrical issue....help

Hey everyone, im having an electrical problem with my trans am and was hoping you can help. My car basically dies (no power)
nothing works, when i loosen the battery cable and touch, i here everything reset and there is power again. but when i try to start the car it will either click and start up, or just click and die again... and i will have to take off the cable and put it back to reset again. if it starts... it will die again after a few hours. I noticed there are sparks i connect the last cable on the battery with and without the key being turned. what does that mean?
Hopefully any ideas or suggestions will help me out, i have been trying to troubleshoot this for battery drain ( i think their is drain) but the drain test didnt show anything, and i have a new battery (which i also have had to charge twice),.. im looking into the bcm fix.. but i just dont know what it could be. any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.. thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

All of that is normal.

Does the car start back up after you have run it for a while? Is the problem only after the car has been sitting for some time? If not, have you had the alternator tested?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, when i get it to start it will start back up... but after i let it sit for just a few hours, its done. It actually did drain the battery from ~13 down to ~9v. So i dont know if its a BCM/VATS problem,... a drain that i cant find (using the multimeter), or a faulty wiring problem... or a combination of them both.