Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Diode in alternator wire to stop run-on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diode in alternator wire to stop run-on?

Hey guys, I recently replaced the ignition box on my wife's 78 Camaro with a new MSD 6AL. I'm getting some engine run-on when I shut it off. The box came with a diode that it says will fix this. According to the instructions I'm supposed to put it in the smaller of the 2 alternator wires.

How the hell am I supposed to put this thing in? The alternator wire is basic stranded wire and the diode (each end) is a single little bitty strand of rigid wire. Based on the instructions it looks like it needs to go in series (i.e. cut the alternator wire and attach one end to each end of the diode). I guess I can solder it but doesn't seem like it could be a very strong joint.

Thanks for any tips!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello , how goes it ? Do You have a Harbor Freight close by or any hardware store will have heat shrink tubing . Get some 3/32" or 1/8" and some 3/16" and cut a cpl pieces of each size say 3/4" and put 1 of each size on either side of the diode then connect diode , then slide the smaller piece of heat shrink over and heat it , wait a min then slide the larger piece over and heat it . You should then be good to go . Good luck
Old 02-17-2011, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went ahead and just soldered it in yesterday. Doesn't seem to have fully cured the run-on though.

Quick Reply: Diode in alternator wire to stop run-on?