Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Camaro LS1 swap VATS help please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2001 Camaro LS1 swap VATS help please?

I just swapped the drivetrain from a 2001 Camaro into another vehicle and now I am trying to get it to start and was wondering what exactly the VATS disables??

I hooked up the fuel pump direct plu all of the other wires to get it started temporarily and it will fire off for a few seconds and then shut down, I am thinking the way it is acting it might be a fuel pressure issue..

So my question is what does the VATS system disable?? The fuel pump, the fuel injectors??

I figured by bypassing the ECU fuel pump enable and wiring it to an ignition switch I could get it to start, but it runs for up to 5 seconds and shuts down as if its not getting fuel all the while I can hear the fuel pump buzzing..

Any insight on this guys??

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It disables the injectors. You either need the VATS bypass or turn it off in the pcm
Old 02-16-2011, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by flame
It disables the injectors. You either need the VATS bypass or turn it off in the pcm
I dont have a body module, isnt that necessary for the VATS bypass?

'OK I was wondering about that, but I also came across some stuff that made me think I had the Corvette filter/reg hooked up wrong, the feed line obviously goes to the engine, but I may have gotten the inlet and return crossed..

I have the feed in the middle and the return is the one not centered, can anyone verify this, I have seen 2 different diagrams that show it both ways....just helps me get even more confused..I dont want to go messing with things if its correct to start with.

But since you said it disables the actual injector signal that would make sense, it is just acting like it was a fuel pressure issue since it doesnt run for the same amount of time every start.

I just want to drive this thing!!

Edit: Feed is offset and the return is centered, I think its correct since the feed is larger than the return..I was incorrect in how I said it was routed.

Last edited by Speed Freek; 02-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the feed is 3/8 and return is 5/16. I have no idea how the bypass works because I just delete it in the pcm.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

OK thanks Flame, I appreciate your input..

The routing on the filter/reg is correct. I checked the injector signals with an LED and it seems when the motor stops so does the injector pulse so it must be the VATS. I just got back from Radio shack with some goodies so I can make a VATS bypass box for my swap and I will still be able to remove the bypass box for extra theft protection on top of the actual alarm..

Hopefully I will wire it up right and it will function....
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you creating a vats bypass? What parts also? I might do this on my swap

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro LS1 swap VATS help please?