Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Plastic Tank For Metal Tank Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Plastic Tank For Metal Tank Swap

So I went out and bought a fuel tank from a 97 camaro to replace the plastic one in my 2000 Trans Am. The wiring is completely different. So then I get online to check for how to wire this older gas tank up and I realized everyone is going from metal tank to plastic tank...Ok so what gives...

I started this because I am running a twin turbo 408 with 96lb injectors and twin walbro fuel pumps. I cut the bucket out like people said to do and I noticed major fuel uncovering. Thats why I went with this metal tank, it was supposed to solve the fuel uncovering issue.

So why are people swapping to the plastic tank now? Its heavier and not baffled properly to run twin walbros without sucking your cup dry and fuel uncovering from the fuel sloshing around in an improperly baffled tank.

Anyone know how I can wire this up so I can keep my stock fuel level sender and primary fuel pump wiring?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have it figured out just set the pumps up side by side. I will just use my old harness, cut all the evap out and wire my connections directly to my harness. No big deal. I will say though the LT1 tank is a pain in the *** to get in there with the fixed metal fill tube. I really liked the plastic version better. Write up will come tomorrow following with pictures of how everything should be done.