Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Advise

I have the 6 peed manual in my 1998 Z28. The sychronizers for 3rd and 5th were going out, so I took it too th e local tranny shop. The said it needed a rebuild and the clutch replaced. After several increases in the cost I ended up paying $2600.00. Before it went in the shop I usually started off in 2nd gear for typical city driving, because first was so low. Now, starting in second lugs the motor way down, and overall performance is suffering. before the "repair" I could mash the peddle in second while going 30 mph and rip the tires loose. That doesn't happen now.

Also, shifting to Reverse takes quite a bit of muscle, so much so that my wife can't do it.

Did they screw it up?

Edit: They put a LUK clutch in. Was that a good choice?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wrong section. Try the manual transmission section.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Moved to manual trans section.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Krepitus
I have the 6 peed manual in my 1998 Z28. The sychronizers for 3rd and 5th were going out, so I took it too th e local tranny shop. The said it needed a rebuild and the clutch replaced. After several increases in the cost I ended up paying $2600.00. Before it went in the shop I usually started off in 2nd gear for typical city driving, because first was so low. Now, starting in second lugs the motor way down, and overall performance is suffering. before the "repair" I could mash the peddle in second while going 30 mph and rip the tires loose. That doesn't happen now.

Also, shifting to Reverse takes quite a bit of muscle, so much so that my wife can't do it.

Did they screw it up?

Edit: They put a LUK clutch in. Was that a good choice?
If it is taking that much effort to get the shifter into reverse, they may have left the reverse lock out solenoid unhooked. As for the car driving differently after the rebuild I find that very strange. The only think that might cause that is if something was binding up in the transmission or a bearing has failed. The LUK clutch is a cheap stock replacement clutch that will last about half as long as the factory. Back in higschool we would say "You will be LUKY if it lasts the summer".

I hate hearing stories about guys getting taken advantage of by local shops. For the price you paid them, you could have had one of our built Level 5 transmissions. Or one of our Level 4 transmissions and a SPEC clutch....

Keep us posted and provide any info you think might help us help you diagnose it.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
If it is taking that much effort to get the shifter into reverse, they may have left the reverse lock out solenoid unhooked. As for the car driving differently after the rebuild I find that very strange. The only think that might cause that is if something was binding up in the transmission or a bearing has failed. The LUK clutch is a cheap stock replacement clutch that will last about half as long as the factory. Back in higschool we would say "You will be LUKY if it lasts the summer".

I hate hearing stories about guys getting taken advantage of by local shops. For the price you paid them, you could have had one of our built Level 5 transmissions. Or one of our Level 4 transmissions and a SPEC clutch....

Keep us posted and provide any info you think might help us help you diagnose it.
Thanks, I wish I would Have checked thesse forums first.

Quick Reply: Transmission Advise