Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a newbie do a VVT cam swap w/no problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can a newbie do a VVT cam swap w/no problems?

OK, need some honest feedback. I just bought a 2010 L96 6.0 w/VVT w/3k miles on it. Going to put it in my 71 Cutlass w/a T56 (anybody got an LS T56 for sale?). I will likely use JBA shorty headers for 2010 camaro, and their mid-pipes so I can have a cat (yes I want one). Supposedly good for ~20 hp each. Thinking I'd like to try Mast's new HO cam. I have only done one cam swap ever, although that was last year on a ford 351W and I took my time and it fired right up. But I know the VVTs are much more complicated. Is this something better left to a professional or are hobbyists going with a cam swap? I want to keep the VVT; so plz don't reply just ditch the VVT and swap like normal.

Cam swap and the exhaust ought to get me over 400RWHP (hoping for 425). Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So does anybody at least know of anyone that has swapped cams and kept VVT? I could pm if you're aware of who has done it...

I know its going to be more complicated and take a bit longer. My ? is really is it something that is more likely to lead to a problem; i.e., easy to screw up. When I do get this engine in, I need it to fire right away, don't want to go chasing a problem that I created....

Thx!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think you could keep VVT with a manual transmission, or is that just the DOD?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think most have removed VVT. Search for "LY6" motors here.
Cam swaps are tricky because of piston valve clearance issues, but I did see a thread here of an aftermarket company selling unpgraded VVT motors.
There are also unexpected issues....I think there is a VVT oil pressure regulator associated with the pan, so if you swap pans you have to address that. I have no idea on the ecu programming with a manual trans since that combo was not available from GM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by gary's 68
I think there is a VVT oil pressure regulator associated with the pan, so if you swap pans you have to address that..
I contacted Chris from MAST Motorsports and was informed that the pressure relief valve can be deleted if you use a AC Delco PF48 oil filter as this has the relief valve built in. I plan on doing this and I am confident it will be ok.

Jim
Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I contacted Chris from MAST Motorsports and was informed that the pressure relief valve can be deleted if you use a AC Delco PF48 oil filter as this has the relief valve built in. I plan on doing this and I am confident it will be ok.

Jim
Good to know...I will probably be going w/MAST pan after others confirm it fits really nice.

Quick Reply: Can a newbie do a VVT cam swap w/no problems?