Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

fail to start? any guesses

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fail to start? any guesses

Just to get to the meat of the problem. took my kid to school. We were early and sat in the parking lot with car idleing for about 5-10 minutes. I decided to turn the car off and we sat for about 5-10 more minutes. kid goes in school. I try to start car. I try to start car, it struggles to turn over and stumbles a few times but will not start. at first I was thinking dead battery but at the same time it was acting like it wasnt getting enough fuel. I could'nt check fuel pressure due to bad fuel pressure sensor, fuel psi gauge not working, anyway I put it on a rollback and took it to the shop on base, I figure that I can figure it out later. I was thinking the best way to start is to make sure the battery isn't dead and to check the fuel psi. I have a new pressure sensor on order hopefully here tomorow so I go to the shop to check the battery. just for giggles I say what the heck and plug the old fuel pressure sender up and turn on the ignition. 75 psi which is high for a stock pump but this is the sensor that was reading 100 psi a month ago. anyway I try to start the car and dang the damn thing starts right up no problem. Drove it home, and picked kid up from school(did'nt cut it off this time. battery reads right at 14v running, and 12.8 30min after I cut it off.

It has stock exhaust now with cats and I have heard of them loading up but I don't think that I am running rich at Idle.(would have caused both symptoms)

bad Battery/hot starter?

Last edited by bridges; 02-20-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your grounds/battery cables. If they are loose/corroded and the engine is hot then it might not start. I had a suburban like that.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

check the positive cable real well. ive seen the factory battery clamps corroad up and run down inside the cable where you cant see it. have battery tested at say autozone maybe too
Old 02-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Teching In

****UPDATE****

Well the new fuel press sender came and I installed. With the ignition on 59 psi. battery volts 10.2....fail... Start the car and volts drop like a hot rock thanks MuhThugga. As soon as the car is started 3-4 seconds later the alternator kicks in and picks up voltage to 13.8 and yes shoddyhog I am on the stock battery.... but not for long. I will check the battery cables at the same time. thanks guys

Quick Reply: fail to start? any guesses