Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Washed engine yesterday now i'm getting SES from knock sensors!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washed engine yesterday now i'm getting SES from knock sensors!

Before washing my engine i did a bit of searching on the forums. Seen a few posts about water rusting out the knock sensors and i thought to myself that it would take quite a while for that to happen. I went back and forth on whether to wash it or not and finally decided to wash it.

I removed the lid and MAF and sealed it up with a ziplock and tape. Cut a piece of trash bag and put it over PCM and tucked it around it good, also the fuse boxes. Sprayed degreaser on the block trying not to get any on belts, pulleys, electronics, or harnesses. Let it sit for about 10 mins and scrubbed with a brush. When i rinsed it off i tried not to spray water directly in front of the intake manifold to get water into the knock sensors. Obviously, it got in there anyway. After rinsing it off i dried everything off with my 150mph leaf blower. I then put everything back on and let it idle for about 30 minutes. Everything seemed fine.

Well, today i was going to my dads to do a tune-up and change LCA's. I drove about 15 miles and stopped at o'reilly's then autozone. Drove about 2 miles on the interstate and SES light came on. Pulled off on the next exit to check the code and it was p0332 and some other code my scanner couldn't read. I reset the light and drove another 10 miles to my dads and it didn't come back on till after i left about 10 hours later. About 1/2 mile after taking off it came on again, same code. FML!

I really don't feel like removing the intake manifold especially after just changing the plugs and wires!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

wow... i used a pressure washer and dont do any of that stuff and ive never had a problem. However i had a small problem with another car i did. let it sit for a day or two, unplug the battery and then hook it back up and take it for a drive. sometimes water gets in there and causes problems.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

It happens, I rusted out mine from engine washing. Try heating up the engine with a long drive and then reset the ecm. If you do end up replacing the knock sens do them both and replace the wire harness.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Launching!

I dried the motor after washing it then let it idle for 30-45 minutes then i drove it 60 miles the next day.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

If and when you replace the sensors, Put some silicone around the plugs, to seal the holes. This will keep water out when you clean the motor.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Whenever I do mine I cover the electronics but I let the car run while I spray degreaser on it and rinse it off. Take it for a drive after and haven't had a problem.

Quick Reply: Washed engine yesterday now i'm getting SES from knock sensors!