Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hidden stereo system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hidden stereo system?

Going back from a race car to a street car again. Wife wants a radio when she drives the camaro. Currently I have a radio delete plate that I have made for some gauges that I still need.

Has anyone mounted a radio/cd player, whatever in the glovebox or console? Dont need anything fancy, just something to hear the local stations.

Also, I welded shut my attenna (sp?) hole in the 1/4 when I painted the Camaro, is there a remote antenna that I can use as well?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a Camaro, no I haven't, but its not really something that would hard to do. A bunch of people have used the glovebox for the HVAC controls, so it shouldn't be hard to do. You can probably even get a encloser of some sort for it, perhaps one intended for boats?

As for the antenna, Autoloc, Jensen, and Dakota Digital just to name a few. The Autoloc has no AM if I remember correctly and is ~$25, but I would buy a good one. From the ones I've seen, the Dakota Digital seems to be the best. Its ~$70, BUT has AM/FM, can be mounted inside and plastic or fiberglass (I would probably use the door to be honest), and requires a 12V source, so you know it should get good reception.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could seperate the faceplate from the actual unit extend wiring and put faceplate in the visor if you really wanted to get custom
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the antenna, you could run it underneath the dash as some have done.