Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end noise 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noise 2

So i went and did a little street racing yesterday. Did 1 small burnout and about 6 passes tops. On the way home i noticed a thud noise as i come to a stop sounding like its coming from the rear end as the driveshaft rotates. I got underneath not really knowing what to do or look for but noticed the driveshaft had slung some fluid around where it meets the rear end but couldnt find any significant leak. Could this be my noise? What do i do now , and what else should i check while im down there? Any comments are helpful.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that fluid is coming from the pinion seal, check first that you didnt break any of your u-joints. then Jack the rear of the car up and put it in nuetral, spin the tires by hand and listen. Also check your trans mount and make sure you didnt kill it.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Hi,
i would check as raron indicated.use a seal puller to extract the old seal. Clean
area and use a little gasket sealer on new seal as you tap into place. Check u-joints/fluid level rear-end/ this would be a good time to change fluid and check ring/pinion visually.good luck and work safely..........have a blessed day......captain jim
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Well i figured out the thud noise was coming from my wheels hitting the bump stops so i removed them. As for the leak i will be putting a new seal in this weekend and probably some 3.73s because ive been wanting them and i will be down there anyway. Thanks for the help guys!